Design Lead at Cloudflare
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Role
Cloudflare is looking for a Design Lead to lead the Brand Identity & Design System team. The team consists of visual designers focused on supporting design systems, product marketing, Brand & Demand Gen campaigns, Web & UX, creative operations, video, animation, and so much more. We believe in working hard, creating high quality creative work and most importantly: having fun along the way. We work on a wide range of interesting & impactful projects including: a current brand refresh, brand advertising campaigns (digital and out of home), videos & motion graphics, event + trade show creative, corporate events, global office creative, interactive design (corporate website, digital campaigns), and more.
What we’re looking for
You are seeking an opportunity to spearhead the evolution of Cloudflare’s brand strategy and brand identity system. You are excited to work with partners across the company to build an environment that champions expansive design conversations. You can lead a growing team of creatives, providing Cloudflare designers with the support they need to deliver outstanding work.You are a skilled conceptual thinker and storyteller with a knack for distilling the complex, thinking holistically, and leading through influence, mentorship, and enablement.
- Own the strategy and creative execution of the design system, and large-scale brand campaign initiatives.
- Lead the Brand Systems Design team of in-house and contract creatives, by providing high quality, actionable feedback.
- Serve as a strategic partner to internal partners and executive leadership.
- Drive internal enablement and positive awareness of design trends, brand standards and processes, through a design culture of open collaboration, accessibility, and knowledge sharing
- Participate in creative critique meetings that result in high-quality outputs across the entire brand design team, keeping the bar for design and consistency elevated.
- Set brand systems team vision and goals.
- Uphold the bar for high quality, insightful, and differentiating design work.
- Partner with the Content, UX, Product, and Engineering teams to build an authentic, consistent experience across all channels, for both developer and enterprise audiences.
- 8–10 years experience designing for an agency or in-house design team, with a preferable focus in design systems, brand strategy, and creative concepting at a tech, product-driven company; plus if your experience has been on an enterprise or B2B focused marketing team.
- 1-2 years of experience managing designers preferred
- Strong visual design portfolio demonstrating a range of work across different mediums; emphasis on design that demonstrates successful brand identity work, compelling brand strategy decks. A portfolio link should be submitted with your application
- Illustration and infographics expertise
- Experience driving the strategy for evolving corporate/tech visual identity and the accompanying visual systems that define our brand.
- Experience maintaining brand asset libraries, so that the system can scale globally
- Experience art directing external agencies, and keeping large-scale projects on track.
- Use the tools of the trade to design, share feedback, and ensure work is on track (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, Google Suite, Asana, Jira)
- Degree in Graphic Design, Visual Design or related field
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
220.127.116.11: We released 18.104.22.168 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.