MongoDB is a modern database platform that helps developers build faster, more reliable applications. We power some of the world’s most innovative products and services out of our offices worldwide, from New York to Sydney, Berlin to Dublin, and just about everywhere in between.
Design Program Managers, part of Design Operations, play a vital role in helping cross-functional teams at MongoDB “Build Together.” Each Design Program Manager impacts how their project teams work, getting shoulder-to-shoulder with designers, researchers, engineers and product managers, and partnering with groups across the organization.
We’re searching for a Design Program Manager to be the mission control for our “Core” team. This is a unique role that brings Product Design, User Research, and Design Systems together in a more cohesive way, with a special focus on Design Systems advocacy and process.
Though your main collaborators will be in New York, this role will work with people in 3 countries and 4 time zones, so the right person will be an expert in creative, flexible, effective ways to work with global teams.
- Partner with the Design Director to understand and execute on team initiatives
- Serve as the go-to point of contact for design projects, removing roadblocks and tracking dependencies
- Own process, planning, roadmapping and communications for Design Systems, evangelizing the team across the organization
- Drive Design Systems-led initiatives to incorporate across other teams’ roadmaps
- Create and implement processes that empower the team and streamline their work
- Manage design Jira tickets to enable transparency and manage workloads
- Elevate the team’s presence within the organization
- Facilitate design studios, stakeholder meetings, and internal team meetings
- Help develop process improvements for Design Operations as a whole
- Build trust between design, product, and engineering teams
- Coach the design team to help them deliver, while enabling them to shine
What You’ll Bring
- Experience as a UX Producer, UX Lead, Design Program Manager or other strategic design-mindset project/program role (tech industry is a huge plus)
- Familiarity or experience working directly with Design Systems teams is key
- Hands-on developer and/or design experience is a big plus
- Ability to speak with confidence about design and research activities and workflows, as well as engineering flows and methods
- Jira proficiency (Jira wizardry is a huge plus)
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills; knowing when and how to share with the right audiences
- A coaching mindset; we’re not looking for project managers as much as human-centered design enablers
- Diplomatic negotiation style
- Natural leadership and problem-solving skills
- Keen sense of when to follow a process and when process is getting in the way
- Proactive approach, pride of work, and passion for iterative workflow development
- Experience as part of a remote / distributed team
What Makes Us Great
- We value doing what’s best for each other, for the team, and for our users
- We encourage open, honest, authentic communication
- We believe that good ideas come from everywhere
- We have a strong feedback culture, asking and providing in the spirit of making everyone better