Rex is creating new tech leadership to serve people. Big tech leadership has lost its social license to lead. They’re focused on extracting value, rather than creating it; muzzling dissent rather than freeing our voices; oppressing rebels rather than being the rebel. We are changing this. At Rex, technology will once again serve people. Review our culture page to understand what we are building.
At the intersection of real estate and technology, Rex is a startup incubator continuing to launch companies within our ecosystem which are focused on PropertyTech, FinTech, and InsuranceTech. Our initiatives page provides more details on current companies.
Rex seeks for a leader to build 10+ startups; create end-user centered design.
We are looking for an experienced Director of Design to oversee all design aspects within the Rex ecosystem. This person should have a passion for making things elegant, attractive, and most importantly, easy to use for anyone. We’re seeking a visionary leader to elevate our product and brand through a user-centric, data-driven approach. This individual will be responsible for guiding product designers, and inspiring them through your exceptional visual eye, breadth of experience, and deep user empathy to create a world-class holistic end-to-end user experience that drives impact aligned to our company goals.
What you'll do:
- Establish a shared design vision and user-centered, data-driven design strategy in alignment with leadership to support company objectives.
- Balance big-picture thinking with an iterative approach to continuously deliver improvements for our users.
- Measure and optimize the business value of design, using quantitative and qualitative data to influence strategy and tactical execution.
- Collaborate to establish the company’s personality and brand, ensuring consistency and bringing together product and marketing design teams through a shared strategy.
- Create structure and instill processes that optimizes the teams performance and impact, creating transparency across projects and proactively communicating with stakeholders.
- Raise the bar on design quality (never satisfied with status quo), challenging teams to create innovative and impactful work.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product, engineering, marketing, and research through a partnership model, not a service or agency model.
- Engages and maintains strong visibility within the design community, staying on the pulse of latest design trends, principles, and techniques.
Who you are:
- Strong track record for having a very high bar for design.
- Strong design portfolio.
- Can mentor designers across various companies at Rex.
- Has strong backbone and can push back on suboptimal design practices but can also disagree and own decisions from the leadership team. Has humility around design input they receive.
- Great at attracting, vetting, and mentoring designers.
- Strong executor that knows what to prioritize, and understands where skills can best be utilized.
- Has proven ability to set up design protocols, processes, etc. so the design input and execution systems are engineered well, with world-class gating mechanisms, etc.
- Doesn’t just try to fast-follow the SV design mindset which can be goofy at times. Fits our design ethos overall, which emphasizes utility to people over fluff & glitz.
Before you apply, review these resources to better understand our culture and mission:
- Rex ecosystem initiatives
- Peter Rex writing in WSJ about moving Rex from Seattle to Austin
- Peter Rex on Fox Business
- Peter Rex on Bloomberg Radio
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and early-in equity awards
- Competitive and comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans
- Peace of mind through company-paid short-term disability, long-term disability and life insurance
- 401(K) with employer match
- Unlimited (discretionary) PTO in addition to Holidays and your birthday off
- Monthly gym membership stipend
- Health Savings Account with employer contribution
- Dependent Flexible Spending Account
- Mental health telecounseling options
- We are committed to serving others with a focus on faith, family, and freedom
- Ability to work in person with flex schedule in Austin, Texas (or willing to relocate)
From the top-down, we are committed to investing in the development of all team members in both a professional and personal setting. We host monthly company socials where employees and family members get together to build our community. Regular performance evaluations are intended to provide a feedback loop, providing opportunities for consistent growth on both ends.