About H-E-B H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 109,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
**This position is based in Austin, TX**
H-E-B Digital, a brand new food tech startup from iconic Texas retailer H-E-B, is seeking new members (Partners)! We plan on investing heavily in our customers' digital experience, reinventing how they find inspiration from food, how they make food decisions, and how they ultimately get food into their homes.
H-E-B Digital will be co-located in San Antonio and Austin, which will share space with Favor - recently acquired by H-E-B, and now ranked no. 138 on the Inc. 5000 list (in addition, ranked 5th in Texas and 1st in Austin!). Our top leaders have deep consumer tech experience. We're hiring for every other role on this new team: product management, product marketing, design (product/ UX / visual), user research, proto-typing, and engineering.
The Product & Design Team is on a mission to design and build the absolute best software and experience in the food / retail space while driving exceptional business results. We mix user centric design with business savvy, focusing on two key user segments:
- Consumers: a compelling digital experience that captures everything inspiring about food, while delivering incredible convenience and simplifying the grocery experience to be nothing short of delightful.
- H-E-B Partners: we arm H-E-B partners across the company with world class business applications and tools to thrive in their jobs so together we can ensure that the customer experience is top notch online, in-store, or anywhere else.
What is the opportunity?
You’re someone who knows how to work with others to drive ideas into reality, and you’re a strong, creative problem-solver who has a knack for making complex things simple, guided by customer data and business needs. As a UX Designer, you will be responsible for leading the design of major components of the user experience that scale across multiple products, platforms, and end-to-end scenarios for a variety of customers.
- Create usable and engaging user experiences that support customer needs and business objectives.
- Design experiences to scale across multiple scenarios, products, and customers for native and web.
- Proactively manage multiple projects—from start to finish—to meet priorities and requirements in an agile environment.
- Effectively communicate / collaborate with engineers, product managers, designers, researchers, and writers to conceptualize, prototype, test, iterate, and build end-to-end experiences.
- Effectively define and document user problems, principles, and details necessary to communicate and implement solutions .
Why is it awesome? You will…
- Help build and apply design standards / processes across the Product & Design team
- Have the freedom to define how design operates at H-E-B Digital
- Be part of a small, lean team (to start)—which translates to you having a big personal impact
- Have huge opportunity for growth. H-E-B Digital is on the way up, creating exceptional career paths for exceptional product & design talent
- Be surrounded by top talent; we constantly raise the bar, and all get better along the way
What is your background?
- Education (formal or otherwise) in design, UX, HCI, cognitive psychology, or related field
- Proven track record (3 – 10 years’ experience) in user experience design or UI design
- Extra points for experience with developing new-to-market products or services
- Portfolio demonstrates rock-solid skills in UX architecture and interaction design
Do you have what it takes to succeed?
- Enthusiasm for H-E-B values and the H-E-B Digital mission
- A deep understanding of how different connected devices impact user experience, and how user experiences lace together across different platforms
- Mastery of design tools such as Sketch, InVision, Axure, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Strong visual design and prototyping skills a plus
- Proactive and strategic problem-solving, design process, and project management skills
- Exceptional strength in consumer software products, with emphasis on mobile first – both native and web apps
- Ability to think through complicated design systems and challenge existing constraints
- Excellent ability to present and explain solutions and decisions to stakeholders in a style that fosters collaboration and consensus building
- An uncanny knack for uncovering hidden user insights and translating those into design
- Embrace and thrive in high paced, lean startup cultures
- High comfort level with “lean startup” or Agile development methodologies
- Firm believer in the power of design thinking and the energy to evangelize it within the company
- Always on top of the latest technologies, industry trends, and design patterns
What are the perks?
- A robust Benefits plan with coverage starting Day One
- An 80/20 PPO medical plan with a $30 copay for in-network primary care
- Dental plans, Vision plan, voluntary insurance plans, and flexible spending accounts (FSA) available
- The Partner Care Team, for any time you have healthcare or coverage questions
- Partner Guidance allows free counselor visits, up to 5 times per year for each issue
- Telehealth offers 24/7 access to board-certified doctors over the phone
- Funeral leave, Jury Duty, and Military pay (subject to applicable law)
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability coverage after 90 days
- Maternal / Paternal Leave for new parents, adoptions included
- Eligibility for 401(k) participation after 6 months
- Eligibility for quarterly bonuses based on company performance
- 10% off H-E-B brand products in-store and online after 90 days
- Access to other savings (gyms, phone, hotels, and more) through online discount program after 90 days
- Opportunity to become a “Partner-Owner” after 12 months of employment
**Note: This position is located in Austin, TX**