Instructional Designer at Whole Foods Market
Whole Foods Market (WFM) is looking for a resourceful learning experience professional to join our team as an Instructional Designer (IC4) for our Global Learning & Development (GL&D) Team. This individual will serve as a consultant involving learning sciences, instructional design, knowledge management, and evaluating impact to deliver best-in-class learning experiences.
The Instructional Designer will be responsible for the production of highly impactful learning opportunities for all levels of the organization. They engage with Sr. Instructional Designers and stakeholders to understand, support, and advise on specific training needs, technology application, and performance improvement. They assist in establishing program needs by interacting with stakeholders to develop specifications for learning objectives and course content. They provide ongoing consultation on Learning & Development research, learning & motivation theories, behavioral outcome, technology application, communication, cognitive science, and instructional design.
The Instructional Designer reports directly to the Senior Team Leader for Global Learning and Development. They collaborate with the GL&D Team and stakeholders to support WFM’s unified learning culture and strategy.
- Partners to evaluate learning objectives, determining which delivery methods best support Core Values and business objectives with measurable outcomes.
- Collaborates to develop content for multiple delivery platforms (including digital and print), methodologies (including self-directed, facilitator-led, and small group learning), and audiences (including learners, trainers, and executives)
- Partners to synthesize information from multiple, diverse stakeholder groups into cohesive, unified learning experiences aligning to learning objectives and drive behavioral change
- Writes clear, cohesive content and quickly builds iterative prototypes, incorporating multiple rounds of stakeholder and SME feedback to improve the experience
- Contributes recommendations for changes and improvements to Learning & Development processes, ensuring alignment with company purpose and values
- Partners to develop practical, measurable solutions to complex problems
- Builds and nurtures business relationships vital to project success
- Tracks high-level deliverables across projects and ensures deadlines are met on time
- Works and contributes in a collaborative, team-oriented manner
- Provides clear and consistent communication to all stakeholders
- Serves as a strategic partner to support the consistency and quality of learning experiences
- Collaborates with the Principal of Learning Production to verify that all quality standards are being met consistently
- Ensures alignment across multiple projects
- Proficient instructional design skill and ability in developing behavior-based and action-oriented learning experiences
- Working knowledge of foundational learning theories, principles of adult learning, and cognitive science
- Working knowledge of learning sciences, human-centered design, and instructional design principles
- Skilled in providing problem analyses and solutions in a creative and logical manner
- Ability to identify and select appropriate learning and talent technologies, including authoring software and tools such as Articulate Storyline and Rise, In-Design, video development and streaming platforms, Inkling, Cornerstone OnDemand, and more
- Working ability to evaluate learning impact using a systematic method for gathering, analyzing, and reporting on information about the effectiveness of learning programs
- Skilled in creating data collection tools such as surveys and structured interviews
- Effective communication with internal stakeholders, external vendors, and partners
- Ability to quickly adopt new methods and tools
- Enthusiasm for working collaboratively, both internally and in cross-functional groups
- Ability to deliver and receive constructive, solution-oriented feedback
- Adaptability and perseverance with a growth mindset through ambiguity and chang
Education & Experience:
- BA/BS degree and 2-4 years relevant experience OR equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- BA/BS degree in Instructional Design or Learning Experience Design and 2-4 years’ experience OR equivalent combination of education and relevant experience, and companion portfolio
- Certified Professional in Talent Development (CPTD) and/or Associate Professional in Talent Development (APTD) certifications preferred
- Experience developing programs for delivery in a retail or enterprise training environment
- Familiarity with WFM’s product mix, supply base, and retail operations is a plus
Job Grade & Location:
- Level 4: Individual Contributor (IC4)
- Location: Global Support Office - Austin, TX
- Qualified Regional Team Member applicants may be approved to work remotely out of regional or satellite offices
This job description may not be inclusive of all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the job described, and may be amended any time at the sole discretion of Whole Foods Market. The appropriate country or jurisdictional laws, processes, professional or regulatory bodies, and qualifications apply outside of the United States.
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.