Lead Product Designer / Remote at BigCommerce
BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
BigCommerce is the world's leading cloud ecommerce platform for established and rapidly-growing businesses. Combining enterprise functionality, an open architecture, app ecosystem, and market-leading performance, BigCommerce enables businesses to grow online sales with 80% less cost, time and complexity than on-premise software and powers B2B and B2C ecommerce for more than 60,000 brands, 2,000+ mid-market businesses, 30 Fortune 1000 companies, and industry-leading brands, including Assurant, Ben & Jerry's, Paul Mitchell, Skullcandy, Sony and Toyota.
Our mission is to power unrivaled ecommerce success at every stage of our customers’ growth. We equip growing businesses with an effective platform for creating beautiful stores, attracting customers wherever they shop, and generating sales. Online businesses using BigCommerce can outsell and outperform those on other platforms.
BigCommerce is looking for a Lead Product Designer for our Growth Optimization team, focused on growing the BigCommerce ecosystem by improving the tools, documentation, and integration capabilities we provide to our partners. This is a design leadership role with opportunity to mentor, lead and shape the design practice and team culture. You will work on a mix of platform and product initiatives to improve the developer experience and ultimately enable merchants to better access third party solutions to help grow their businesses.
Remote Position or Hybrid: “Flexible work from home options available” for those wanting an office environment. Available in Austin, Texas or any major city in the U.S.
What you’ll do:
- Apply systems thinking, leadership and design skills to improve the overall end to end partner, developer and app / themes marketplace experiences.
- Design simple, elegant, data-driven, user-centric experiences
- Define the user experience through design artifacts including wireframes, prototypes, experience flows and high fidelity mockups
- Collaborate with partners to help shape the product strategy and vision for partner and developer experiences
- Incorporate user-based research practices throughout the design / development process to ensure our product meets market, user, and design quality-markers.
- As a design leader you will solve business objectives, shape design team culture, help mature the practice and drive customer value.
- Collaborate with and lead product designers to shape and evolve BigDesign, our design systems library, to make sure our solutions are consistent and familiar.
- Provide consultation to Product and Engineering managers on standard methodologies for partnering with design.
- Provide constructive feedback, guidance and mentorship to fellow designers
- Collaborative. You understand that solving problems for our users is a team sport.
- A systems thinker. You understand how to define guidelines with structure and flexibility to make the product desirable and usable. Taking the complex and making it simple is a challenge that brings you joy.
- Dedicated. You have superior organizational skills, integrity and great follow through on tasks. You don't get overwhelmed easily and know when to push back or drive ahead.
- Naturally curious. You're innovative, very creative and constantly looking for ways to tweak and optimize processes.
- Pragmatic. You appreciate the latest design trends but can easily filter out what is and isn’t useful to your audience. You can look at your design solution and figure out what is integral to the experience and what are ‘bells and whistles’.
- User-centered. You care deeply about your users and take extra steps to ensure your designs are addressing their problems, down to the last pixel.
- A leader. You’re comfortable working in a fast paced environment, and understand the design / development process well enough to know when to employ it, push back or skip steps.
- Fun! You're flexible, confident, and excited to help build something awesome.
- A utility player. You're willing to help out wherever needed.
Skills & Abilities:
- 7+ years experience working as a product designer on a product team shipping successful products
- Proven execution of end-to-end design process from discovery to delivery, with a portfolio of work showcasing visual design, interaction design and critical thinking
- Experience working on developer facing products or enterprise platforms / applications
- Experience helping lead and mentor a team of gifted creatives
- Ability to handle working on several concurrent projects with remote teams
- Experience working with engineering teams in a Scrum or Agile framework
- Proficiency creating thoughtful, scalable design systems
- Advanced skills in design tools like Figma
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Ecommerce experience is ideal, but not required
- Degree in Human Computer Interaction, Information Design, Communication Design, or a related design or behavioral science field, or equivalent experience
What's in it for you
- Design solutions that will be used by thousands of partners and will benefit hundreds of thousands of users
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.
Learn more about the BigCommerce team, culture and benefits at https://careers.bigcommerce.com.