About H-E-B H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $25 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 109,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
**This position is based in Austin, TX**
H-E-B Digital, a brand new food tech startup from iconic Texas retailer H-E-B, is seeking new members (Partners)! We plan on investing heavily in our customers’ digital experience, reinventing how they find inspiration from food, how they make food decisions, and how they ultimately get food into their homes.
H-E-B Digital will be co-located in San Antonio and Austin, which will share space with Favor - recently acquired by H-E-B, and now ranked no. 138 on the Inc. 5000 list (in addition, ranked 5th in Texas and 1st in Austin!). Our top leaders have deep consumer tech experience. We're hiring for every other role on this new team: product management, product marketing, design (product/ UX / visual), user research, proto-typing, and engineering.
The Product & Design Team is on a mission to design and build the absolute best software and experience in the food / retail space while driving exceptional business results. We mix user centric design with business savvy, focusing on two key user segments:
- Consumers: a compelling digital experience that captures everything inspiring about food, while delivering incredible convenience and simplifying the grocery experience to be nothing short of delightful.
- H-E-B Partners: we arm H-E-B partners across the company with world class business applications and tools to thrive in their jobs so together we can ensure that the customer experience is top notch online, in-store, or anywhere else.
What is the opportunity?
You’re someone who has passion to deliver the best user experiences, with an uncanny knack for uncovering hidden user insights and translating those into design. As a Product Designer, you will…
- Collaborate with product managers and engineers to define broad requirements and design goals
- Build prototypes of various fidelity to validate new product concepts
- Relentlessly champion the user while defining user experience opportunities and identifying use cases
- Identify usability issues for upcoming feature releases and collaboratively align on a solution
- Tackle fiendishly complex design problems and provide clarity for the team as you break them down into viable, user-centered solutions
- Analyze engagement metrics on in-flight pilots, and rapidly iterate the design with an eye towards constant improvement
- Partner with UI engineers to test new features and identify bugs prior to deploying to production
- Be the fountain of knowledge - keep the company in sync with user experience findings and the novel design approaches you’re pushing forward, actively doling out little nuggets of insights at just the right time
Why is it awesome? You will…
- Help build and apply design standards / processes across the Product & Design team.
- Have the freedom to define how design operates at H-E-B Digital.
- Be part of a small, lean team (to start)—which translates to you having a big personal impact.
- Have huge opportunity for growth. H-E-B Digital is on the way up, creating exceptional career paths for exceptional product & design talent.
- Be surrounded by top talent; we constantly raise the bar, and all get better along the way .
What is your background?
- Education (formal or otherwise) in design, UX, HCI, cognitive psychology, or related field
- Proven track record (3 – 10 years’ experience) in user experience design or UI design
- Extra points for experience with developing new-to-market products or services
Do you have what it takes to succeed?
- Enthusiasm for H-E-B values and the H-E-B Digital mission
- A deep understanding of how different connected devices impact user experience, and how user experiences lace together across different platforms
- Exceptional strength in consumer software products, with emphasis on mobile first – both native and web apps
- Mastery of design tools such as Sketch, InVision, Axure, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Different gears for different design challenges—ability to quickly and smoothly transition from concepts and ideation to detailed execution
- Can see the forest through the trees—you find simple solutions for complex problems
- Embrace and thrive in high paced, lean startup cultures
- High comfort level with “lean startup” or Agile development methodologies
- Firm believer in the power of design thinking and the energy to evangelize it within the company
- Always on top of the latest technologies, industry trends, and design patterns
What are the perks?
- A robust Benefits plan with coverage starting Day One
- An 80/20 PPO medical plan with a $30 copay for in-network primary care
- Dental plans, Vision plan, voluntary insurance plans, and flexible spending accounts (FSA) available
- The Partner Care Team, for any time you have healthcare or coverage questions
- Partner Guidance allows free counselor visits, up to 5 times per year for each issue
- Telehealth offers 24/7 access to board-certified doctors over the phone
- Funeral leave, Jury Duty, and Military pay (subject to applicable law)
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability coverage after 90 days
- Maternal / Paternal Leave for new parents, adoptions included
- Eligibility for 401(k) participation after 6 months
- Eligibility for quarterly bonuses based on company performance
- 10% off H-E-B brand products in-store and online after 90 days
- Access to other savings (gyms, phone, hotels, and more) through online discount program after 90 days
- Opportunity to become a “Partner-Owner” after 12 months of employment
**Note: This position is located in Austin, TX**