Come work at Smarter Sorting!
Smarter Sorting is a purpose-driven company committed to increasing sustainable options for unsold or damaged products. Our cutting-edge machine learning technology enables cost-effective, compliant decisions for all unsold products, and our process advances our partners’ zero-waste goals.
As a collective group of machine learning experts, successful serial entrepreneurs, data scientists, sustainability experts, and national account program managers, our passion for data-driven sustainability drives us toward a singular goal: to reduce waste through the salvation of unwanted items. Our goal is to take valuable products currently being driven hundreds of miles and burned and have them be used for their original purpose in local communities.
At Smarter Sorting: We do what it takes. We are driven to become experts. We are not jerks. We are real. We have grit. A healthy culture is key to our company’s success and more importantly our employees’ happiness. Our core values drive our culture and in turn, we achieve our vision.
Better decisions. Better data. Greener planet. All made possible by the best people. Come join our team!
About the Role
Poor classification has far-reaching impacts for retailers, waste haulers, disposal facilities, and the environment. At Smarter Sorting, we’re doing something about that. We’re using machine learning to build a new platform to classify items more accurately than ever before. We’re looking for a Product Designer to help us iterate on existing solutions and help build new ones.
We need someone to help as we begin shifting our focus from ‘just ship it’ to a more proactive and scalable approach with extensibility, quality, and paying down our design debt as their main priorities. This person should be passionate about, and have experience designing thoughtful solutions to complex problems. They can lead a discussion with both users and internal teams to push products in the right direction for the company’s strategic vision. This individual has an insatiable curiosity and is constantly upping their design acumen and skills. They have a solid background in B2B product design (with strong visual design chops) and can discuss why something worked and have the data to back it up.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Run point on product design for one of our key products
- Create flowcharts to document and visualize user flows in applications
- Create wireframes, High-fi designs, and interactive/animated prototypes
- Initiate, conduct, analyze, and report on usability research findings
- Collaborate with product managers and other designers to create new features for our current in-market products, from wireframe through prototype
- Help audit our design language and contribute to our new design system
- Work cross-functionally with the technology department during design handoffs
- Conduct Design QA on implemented designs and support marketing design as needed
Your Experience + Skills:
- 5+ years working as a Product Designer at a large organization or startup (experience working for both is a plus)
- 2+ years of experience working in visual or marketing & brand design
- BA in design, psychology, art, computer science or a related field preferred
- Experience in creating and implementing design systems
- Responsive & Mobile app design
- Design Thinking experience
- Experience in both remote and in-person usability research
- Visual design and prototyping: Sketch and Figma, Invision, Adobe Creative Suite
- Preferred, but not required: Figma, After Effects, Principle, or other prototyping animation tools, Web design, Illustration
Your 1st month:
- Learn everything there is to know about Smarter Sorting’s internal operations
- Understand our full product suite and how they interact together
- Contribute design support on our main product, with small feature requests on other products as needed
- Own some marketing projects to support the sales team
Your first 3 months:
- Design, audit, complete and contribute to the Smarter Sorting Design System
- Contribute to all Smarter Sorting products easily with no ramp-up time
- Lead design thinking sessions with stakeholders and team members
- Support user research efforts
- Assist and guide product marketing efforts
Your first 6 months:
- Become an expert in the Smarter Sorting Design System
- Take point on product design for one of our key products
- Work autonomously to guide products and features from concept to launch
- Design system maintenance without manager approval
- Self-initiate usability research and present findings to key stakeholders
- Work on moon-shot projects and prioritize accordingly without heavy manager involvement
Your Benefits & Perks
Smarter Sorting offers:
-Competitive Compensation Packages
-Medical, dental & vision insurance
-Short-term disability insurance
-Continuing Education & Lunch N Learns
-Volunteering & Special Events (with baby goats in attendance)
-Snacks, drinks, lunches, and dinners
Read Full Job Description