Senior Interaction Designer at DISCO
DISCO is a legal tech software company focused on improving the practice of law by automating the parts of the practice that can be automated so that great lawyers can focus on tasks that really do require human legal judgment. To date, we have substantially disrupted the legal tech market with a lawyer inspired consumer-grade interface and a cloud-enabled technology platform that offers unprecedented performance and cost savings. Our objective is to own the legal tech market and become the leader in legal as Salesforce has done in the sales technology space. We are building a unified technology platform for the practice of law, composed of 7+ products to be released over the next 10 years.
Thoughtful product planning and product design are core tenets in our “product first” business strategy and culture.Your Impact
As a Senior Designer for DISCO, you’ll design compelling digital tools that are intuitive, thoughtful, delightful - and at times magical - to improve the practice of law. You will synthesize insights from users about key outcomes and workflows in partnership with other designers, product managers, and engineers. You also will iteratively refine your designs on the basis of usability testing with internal and external subject matter experts.
Designing a great user experience requires someone that is a strong communicator and facilitator to extract the best ideas. At DISCO we expect a humble yet confident approach to design.What You’ll Do
- Work within an agile two-pizza team - a product manager, a designer, and engineers - executing on the delivery of crucial features.
- Prototype ideas at various levels of fidelity and test them with representative users so you can iterate towards excellence.
- Collaborate with other designers and developers to implement, and maintain DISCO’s design system.
- Communicate your designs and their underlying rationale clearly to clients and other team members through artifacts including site maps, journey maps, storyboards, and usability test reports.
- Lead workshops and design sprints.
- Work with engineers throughout the development process to ensure that the correct product, with all of the fine details, gets built to design specifications.
- Synthesizing and simplifying complex workflows, often involving hundreds of lawyers collaborating on millions of documents.
- A visualized human communication network computed by AI.
- Defining enterprise-wide analytics and dashboards that inform legal strategies and ongoing data management policies.
- 7+ years of experience in software UI design creating artifacts including low- through high-fidelity mockups, interactive prototypes, and journey maps.
- 5+ years of experience designing the software UI of enterprise-level B2B or B2C applications that support users who are performing complex, technical tasks.
- 5+ years experience as an embedded designer within cross-functional teams.
- Prior experience translating your early design concepts through to released product in partnership with functions including engineering, domain/subject matter experts, and product management.
- 2+ years experience in planning, conducting, or participating in UX generative and evaluative research to discover user needs, define workflows and use cases, and iteratively refine prototypes. Representative research activities include contextual inquiry, semi-structured interviews, and scenario-based usability testing.
- Have experience working on an Agile team consisting of product managers and engineers.
- Holder of a degree or certification in design, human-computer interaction, human factors/ergonomics, software engineering, or experimental or cognitive psychology; or have equivalent experience in product design and user experience principles and methods.
- Owner of an online portfolio that represents your (non-confidential) latest and greatest work including an example of a product design flow with a high level of craftsmanship.
- Have a balanced mix of interaction design, information architecture, visual design, usability testing, and prototyping skills.
- Work independently, are a self-starter, and take proactive ownership of projects and tasks while effectively collaborating in a team environment.
- Have experience using Figma.
- Have experience in designing user interfaces for search.
- Leverage tried and true practices, but when necessary customize or invent a new standard.
- Bring a holistic end-to-end and user-centered view to problem solving, yet know how to isolate specific design issues and opportunities.
- Have led or have been part of a design sprint and understand how to go wide before honing in on a solution.
- Have a design super-power, we can always leverage illustration, animation, typography, hand-lettering, event speaking, etc.
- Understand how to apply scientific thinking to your work, transforming business problems and user insights into designs that people find delightful and even magical.
- Enjoy meeting users of your products to discover insights and refine your designs.
- Demonstrate exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
DISCO is a recognized leader in legal technology. Founded in 2012, DISCO’s mission is to create great technology to modernize the practice of law. Our solutions apply artificial intelligence and cloud computing to help lawyers and legal teams improve legal outcomes for their clients. Corporate legal departments, law firms, and government agencies around the world use DISCO for ediscovery, case management, compliance, disputes, and investigations.
DISCO has raised more than $135 million in venture capital and is using this investment to apply our unique combination of world-class engineering and deep legal expertise to build products that will transform the practice of law. We have an office in London and continue to expand our presence outside the United States.
Are you ready to revolutionize the practice of law? Join us!Why Join DISCO
We intend to build a multi-billion dollar business and think you should come along for the ride because:
- We were the first movers to a cloud-based platform that has caused mass disruption within our market.
- Our CEO is a true market visionary. He graduated with a computer science degree at the age of 15 and followed with a JD from Harvard Law School at the age of 19. His unparalleled insights into the fundamental issues in legal and the potential of technology and artificial intelligence to change our market at its core provide the guiding light for DISCO’s long-term strategy.
- We believe that product delivery professionals including product managers, product designers, and engineers differ from one another by at least a factor of 10. We believe that product delivery professionals including product managers, product designers and engineers differ from one another by at least a factor of 10. At DISCO, we only hire the top 1%. We pay them well and also include equity, which means , pay them well, and with equity, everyone has effectively been getting a raise each and every day. Given our product-focused mindset, product professionals are very much stars of the show. Given our product first mindset, product professionals are very much stars of the show. Our logo, the circle and square, represents the best lawyers and the best product professionals in the world.
- We measure product delivery velocity by dollars of revenue per line of code, vs simply lines of code. We hire many more product managers and designers per engineer than most companies to drive a very thoughtful and deliberate product design and development process that ensures we are going to make money when we ship products. We hire many more product managers and designers per engineer than most companies to ensure that our engineers have a disambiguated product intent when they are building.
- As a rule, we don’t commit to external product delivery dates as we believe that unnecessarily constrains our creativity from both a product and technology point of view.
- At DISCO respect isn’t earned; it is assumed. Good humans inherently treat everyone respectfully. This is a very important concept at DISCO.
- Given the high caliber of talent, the cutting-edge cloud-based technology stack, and thoughtful and novel product and design approach, you’ll find yourself learning and growing at a rate you’ve not likely experienced in your career. Given that we only hire professionals that are passionate about their craft, you’ll truly enjoy building a great software product and get in the best “career shape” of your life.
- We use the “2 Pizza Team” organization design where small autonomous teams own a piece of a product or platform and ship software at rates comparable to a very lean and scrappy startup. We achieve consistency across these teams in the areas of design, product-wide use cases and technical concerns through a strategically focused set of overlay functions.
- Finally, while we’re an incredibly fast-growing organization, as a rule, we do not work crazy long hours. We believe in continuous product delivery, continuous product planning and design, continuous regular sleep schedules, continuous regular vacation, and continuous fun if you’re passionate about your craft.
- Open, inclusive, and fun environment
- Benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as 401(k)
- Competitive salary plus stock options
- Flexible PTO
- Free catered lunches every day, as well as free snacks and beverages*
- Opportunity to be a part of a company that is revolutionizing the legal industry
- Growth opportunities throughout the company
*when we return to the office, post-COVID19
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.