- Bachelor's degree in Design or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience collaborating with multidisciplinary teams of Designers, Researchers, Engineers, Content Strategists and Product Managers throughout the design process.
- Experience designing across multiple platforms.
- Portfolio highlighting multiple projects that demonstrates experiences crafting usable digital interfaces.
- Master's degree in Design, HCI, CS, or a related field.
- 6 years of relevant industry experience.
- Ability to lead and ideate products from scratch and improve features, all with a user-centered design process.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex concepts clearly across different audiences and varying levels of the organization and thereby influencing product design strategy.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and familiarity with technical constraints and limitations as they apply to designing for platforms such as desktop and mobile (e.g., Android and iOS).
About the job
Design and user experience (UX) are at the forefront of everything we do. The job of an Interaction Designer is to envision how people experience our products and bring that vision to life in a way that feels inspired, refined and even magical. In an Interaction Designer role, you’ll take on complex tasks and transform them into intuitive, accessible and easy-to-use designs for billions of people around the world—from the first-time user to the sophisticated expert. Achieving this goal requires collaboration with teams of Designers, Researchers, Engineers and Product Managers throughout the design process—from creating user flows and wireframes to building user interface mockups and prototypes. At each stage, you will anticipate what our users need, advocate for them and ensure that the final product surprises and delights them.
We follow a simple but vital premise in the User Experience (UX) group: "Focus on the user and all else will follow." We're interested in our users and strive to learn everything we can about their behaviors, attitudes and emotions to help define the products and experiences we create. The UX team plays an integral part in gathering these insights and then using them to inspire and inform design. We are a multi-disciplinary team of interaction designers, visual designers, user researchers, content strategists and web developers who collaborate closely with each other and with engineering and product management to create innovative, usable, great-looking products that people love to use.
User experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design. Our UX teams include designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity. We work on collaborative teams to solve complex challenges and craft experiences that highlight our products’ unique capabilities and personalities. Our work touches billions while exemplifying a key principle that is core to Google’s philosophy: “Focus on the user and all else will follow.”
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, and cross-functional stakeholders to understand requirements, and provide creative, thoughtful solutions.
- Communicate the user experience at various stages of the design process with wireframes, flow diagrams, storyboards, mockups, and/or high fidelity prototypes.
- Integrate user feedback and business requirements into ongoing product experience updates.
- Advocate for the prioritization of design centered changes, refinements, and improvements.