Senior Product Designer
Who We Are
DISCO is a legal tech software company. Our objective is to own the legal tech market and become the leader in legal as Salesforce has done in the sales technology space. Given the massive growth of data over the last 20 years, poorly built legal technology products have severely decreased lawyers ability to practice the law.
Our fundamental mission includes building a unified technology platform for the practice of law, composed of 7+ products released over the next 10 years. Great technology can solve problems of scale in data, in laws, and in business operations that have distracted lawyers from doing what they went to law school to do. DISCO is fixing the law by automating the parts of the practice that can be automated so that great lawyers can focus on tasks that really do require human legal judgment.
To date, we have substantially disrupted the legal tech market with a lawyer inspired consumer-grade interface and a cloud-enabled technology platform that offers unprecedented performance and cost savings. Thoughtful product planning and product design are core tenants in our “product first” business strategy and culture.
We intend to build a multi-billion dollar business and think you should come along for the ride because:
- DISCO is a very successful company more than doubling revenue every year for the last 5 years. We were the first movers to a cloud-based platform that has caused mass disruption within our market.
- Our CEO is a true market visionary. He graduated with a computer science degree at the age of 15 and followed with a JD from Harvard Law School at the age of 19. His unparalleled insights into the fundamental issues in legal and the potential of technology and artificial intelligence to change our market at its core provide the guiding light for DISCO’s long-term strategy.
- We believe that product delivery professionals including product managers, product designers and engineers differ from one another by at least a factor of 10. At DISCO, we only hire the top 1%, pay them well, and with equity, everyone has effectively been getting a raise each and every day. Given our product first mindset, product professionals are very much stars of the show. Our logo, the circle and square, represents the best lawyers and the best product professionals in the world.
- We measure product delivery velocity by dollars of revenue per line of code, vs simply lines of code. This drives a very thoughtful and deliberate product design and development process that ensures we’re going to make money when we ship products. We hire many more product managers and designers per engineer than most companies to ensure that our engineers have a disambiguated product intent when they are building.
- As a rule, we don’t commit to external product delivery dates as we believe that unnecessarily constrains our creativity from both a product and technology point of view.
- At DISCO respect isn’t earned; it is assumed. Good humans inherently treat everyone respectfully. This is a very important concept at DISCO.
- Given the high caliber of talent, the cutting-edge cloud-based technology stack, and thoughtful and novel product and design approach, you’ll find yourself learning at a rate you’ve not likely experienced in your career. Given that we only hire professionals that are passionate about their craft, you’ll truly enjoy building a great software product and get in the best “career shape” of your life.
- Over the next 4 years, we’ll be growing our product delivery organization from 85 professional to 500+. There will be incredible growth opportunities along the way.
- We use the “2 Pizza Team” organization design where small autonomous teams own a piece of a product or platform and ship software at rates comparable to a very lean and scrappy startup. We achieve consistency across these teams in the areas of design, product-wide use cases and technical concerns through a strategically focused set of overlay functions.
- Finally, while we’re an incredibly fast growing organization, as a rule, we do not work crazy long hours. We believe in continuous product delivery, continuous product planning and design, continuous regular sleep schedules, continuous regular vacation, and continuous fun if you’re passionate about your craft.
If you want to win while getting better than you’ve ever been, come to DISCO.
As a Senior Product Designer for DISCO, you’ll synthesize user needs, data, visual, interaction design, and technology into thoughtful prototypes. User insights will help you discover problems and opportunity areas. You'll be in a close partnership with other designers, product managers and development leaders, and together, you will set a vision for both short and long-term products. You will design compelling tools that are intuitive, thoughtful, simple, delightful and at times magical.
Designing a great users experience requires someone that is a strong communicator and facilitator to extract the best ideas. At DISCO we expect a humble yet confident approach to design.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Work with a two-pizza team: product manager and engineers, executing on the delivery of crucial features.
- Talk to customers, attend your “two-pizza team” stand-up, and give demos of your product...to name a few things you might have on your schedule.
- Prototype ideas and get them in front of users so you can learn and iterate towards excellence.
- Collaborate with other designers in creating a common toolkit and design patterns.
- Share your design ideas directly with clients and other team members.
- Work with developers to ensure that the correct product, with all of the fine details, gets built.
Things You Might Work On
- DISCO’s core visual search language.
- Drillable AI-produced topic clusters and search suggestion engines.
- A visualized human communication network computed by AI.
- Synthesizing and simplifying complex workflows, often involving hundreds of lawyers collaborating on the millions of documents.
- Delivering enterprise-wide analytics that inform legal strategies and ongoing data management policies.
Skills You Have…
- You have an online portfolio that represents your latest and greatest work and that must showcase an example of a product design flow with a high level of craftsmanship.
- Training and experience in User Experience design, Human Factors, or Graphic Design.
- 5+ years of experience designing responsive web or native mobile products.
- Experience driving UX design-related research to flesh out workflows and use-cases.
- Proficiency in Sketch, Principle, Flinto, Adobe Suite or similar design, wire-framing and prototyping tools.
- Foundational skills such as information design, typography, color, layout, and UI specifications.
- You are capable of creating UX artifacts such as personas, site-maps, journey maps, and story-boards.
- The understanding of how to apply scientific thinking to your work, transforming business problems into user delightful and even magical designs.
- Enjoyment in meeting the users of your products to find out how they use them and to figure out other possible areas of opportunity.
- Ability to work independently, be a self-starter, and take proactive ownership on projects and tasks while also collaborating in a team environment.
- Exceptional communication skills with your respective team and other internal stakeholders throughout the business as well as external clients and users.
Even Better If…
- You have prior search design experience.
- You have experience working on an Agile team.
- You leverage tried and true practices, but when necessary may invent the new standard.
- You bring a systemic point of view to problem-solving yet know how to isolate specific design issues and opportunities.
- You have led or have been part of a design sprint and understand how to go wide before honing in on a solution.
- You are not limited by device or platform, yet you are versed in responsive web and native mobile.
- You have a mix of visual design, information design, interaction design and prototyping skills.
- You have a design super-power, we can always leverage illustration, typography, hand-lettering, event speaking etc.
What You'll Get
- Competitive salary
- Opportunity to be a part of a start-up culture — fastest growing company in its space
- Career advancement opportunities
- Company volunteer/fundraising activities
- Flexible & open PTO
- Onsite gym & showers
- Free catered lunches as well as free snacks and beverages
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance and disability benefits
DISCO is the leading provider of e-discovery solutions for law firms, corporations, and government agencies. With technology and services that automate and simplify complex and error-prone tasks that distract from practicing law, DISCO empowers lawyers and their teams to effectively manage discovery processes. DISCO is the e-discovery choice of leading U.S. law firms including litigation boutiques and AmLaw, Fortune 500 companies, as well as government agencies around the world.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description