Senior Product Designer at DISCO
DISCO is a legal tech software company focused on improving the practice of law by automating the parts of the practice that can be automated so that great lawyers can focus on tasks that really do require human legal judgment. To date, we have substantially disrupted the legal tech market with a lawyer inspired consumer-grade interface and a cloud-enabled technology platform that offers unprecedented performance and cost savings. Our objective is to own the legal tech market and become the leader in legal as Salesforce has done in the sales technology space. We are building a unified technology platform for the practice of law, composed of 7+ products to be released over the next 10 years.
Thoughtful product planning and product design are core tenets in our “product first” business strategy and culture.
As a Senior Product Designer for DISCO, you’ll design compelling digital tools that are intuitive, thoughtful, delightful - and at times magical - to improve the practice of law. You will synthesize insights from users about key outcomes and workflows in partnership with other designers, product managers, and engineers. You also will iteratively refine your designs on the basis of usability testing with internal and external subject matter experts.
Designing a great user experience requires someone that is a strong communicator and facilitator to extract the best ideas. At DISCO we expect a humble yet confident approach to design.
What You’ll Do
- Work within an agile two-pizza team - a product manager, a designer, and engineers - executing on the delivery of crucial features.
- Prototype ideas at various levels of fidelity and test them with representative users so you can iterate towards excellence.
- Collaborate with other designers to implement, and maintain DISCO’s design system.
- Communicate your designs and their underlying rationale clearly to clients and other team members through artifacts including personas, site maps, journey maps, storyboards, and usability test reports.
- Lead workshops and design sprints.
- Work with engineers throughout the development process to ensure that the correct product, with all of the fine details, gets built to design specifications.
Things You Might Work On
- DISCO’s core visual search language.
- Drillable AI-produced topic clusters and search suggestion engines.
- A visualized human communication network computed by AI.
- Synthesizing and simplifying complex workflows, often involving hundreds of lawyers collaborating on millions of documents.
- Delivering enterprise-wide analytics that informs legal strategies and ongoing data management policies.
Who You Are
- 7+ years of experience designing responsive web or native mobile products.
- 7+ years of experience using UI design and prototyping tools to create artifacts including personas, low- through high-fidelity mockups and prototypes, and journey maps. Representative tools include Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, and Principle.
- 2+ years of experience in planning, conducting, or participating in UX generative and evaluative research to discover user needs, identify relevant define workflows and use cases, and iteratively refine prototypes. Representative research activities include contextual inquiry, semi-structured interviews, and scenario-based usability testing.
- Holder of a degree or certification in design, human-computer interaction, human factors/ergonomics, or experimental or cognitive psychology.
- Owner of an online portfolio that represents your (non-confidential) latest and greatest work including an example of a product design flow with a high level of craftsmanship.
Even Better If You…
- Have prior experience in designing user interfaces for search.
- Have experience working on an Agile team.
- Leverage tried and true practices, but when necessary customize or invent a new standard.
- Bring a holistic end-to-end and user-centered view to problem-solving, yet know how to isolate specific design issues and opportunities.
- Have led or have been part of a design sprint and understand how to go wide before honing in on a solution.
- Have a balanced mix of interaction design, information architecture, visual design, usability testing, and prototyping skills.
- Have a design super-power, we can always leverage illustration, animation, typography, hand-lettering, event speaking, etc.
- Work independently, are a self-starter, and take proactive ownership of projects and tasks while effectively collaborating in a team environment.
- Understand how to apply scientific thinking to your work, transforming business problems and user insights into designs that people find delightful and even magical.
- Enjoy meeting users of your products to discover insights and refine your designs.
- Demonstrate exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
Perks of DISCO
- Open, inclusive, and fun environment
- Benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as 401K
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Flexible PTO
- Free catered lunches every day as well as free snacks and beverages
- Opportunity to be a part of a startup that is revolutionizing the legal industry
Why Join DISCO
We intend to build a multi-billion dollar business and think you should come along for the ride because:
- DISCO is a very successful company more than doubling revenue every year for the last 5 years. We were the first movers to a cloud-based platform that has caused mass disruption within our market.
- Our CEO is a true market visionary. He graduated with a computer science degree at the age of 15 and followed with a JD from Harvard Law School at the age of 19. His unparalleled insights into the fundamental issues in legal and the potential of technology and artificial intelligence to change our market at its core provide the guiding light for DISCO’s long-term strategy.
- We believe that product delivery professionals including product managers, product designers and engineers differ from one another by at least a factor of 10. At DISCO, we only hire the top 1%. We pay them well and also include equity, which means, everyone has effectively been getting a raise each and every day. Given our product first mindset, product professionals are very much stars of the show. Our logo, the circle and square, represents the best lawyers and the best product professionals in the world.
- We hire many more product managers and designers per engineer than most companies. This drives a very thoughtful and deliberate product design and development process that ensures we are going to make money when we ship product.
- As a rule, we don’t commit to external product delivery dates as we believe that unnecessarily constrains our creativity from both a product and technology point of view.
- At DISCO respect isn’t earned; it is assumed. Good humans inherently treat everyone respectfully. This is a very important concept at DISCO.
- Given the high caliber of talent, the cutting-edge cloud-based technology stack, and thoughtful and novel product and design approach, you’ll find yourself learning and growing at a rate you’ve not likely experienced in your career. Given that we only hire professionals that are passionate about their craft, you’ll truly enjoy building a great software product and get in the best “career shape” of your life.
- Over the next 4 years, we’ll be growing our product delivery organization from 85 professionals to 500+. There will be incredible growth opportunities along the way.
- We use the “2 Pizza Team” organization design where small autonomous teams own a piece of a product or platform and ship software at rates comparable to a very lean and scrappy startup. We achieve consistency across these teams in the areas of design, product-wide use cases and technical concerns through a strategically focused set of overlay functions.
- Finally, while we’re an incredibly fast-growing organization, as a rule, we do not work crazy long hours. We believe in continuous product delivery, continuous product planning and design, continuous regular sleep schedules, continuous regular vacation, and continuous fun if you’re passionate about your craft.
DISCO is a recognized leader in legal technology — and we’re just getting started.
Founded in 2012, DISCO’s mission is to create great technology to modernize the practice of law. Our solutions apply artificial intelligence and cloud computing to help lawyers and legal teams improve legal outcomes for their clients. Corporate legal departments, law firms, and government agencies around the world use DISCO as their eDiscovery solution for compliance, disputes, and investigations.
Annual company revenues have more than doubled every year since our founding. We have raised more than $135 million in venture capital, more than any other enterprise legal tech company. We are using this investment to accelerate growth in the $12.5 billion eDiscovery market — and to expand our platform beyond eDiscovery, applying our unique combination of world-class engineering and deep legal expertise to build products that will transform other areas of legal practice. We opened our London office in 2018 and have plans to further expand our presence outside the United States.
Are you ready to revolutionize the practice of law? Join us!U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Information
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.