Senior Product Designer at BigCommerce
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
As a leading open SaaS solution, BigCommerce provides merchants with sophisticated enterprise-grade functionality, customization, and performance with simplicity and ease-of-use. Tens of thousands of B2B and B2C companies across 120 countries and numerous industries use BigCommerce to create beautiful, engaging online stores, including Ben & Jerry’s, Skullcandy, Sony, and Woolrich. Headquartered in Austin, BigCommerce has offices in San Francisco, Sydney, and London.
Our mission is to power unrivaled ecommerce success at every stage of our customers’ growth. We equip growing businesses with the world’s most effective platform for creating beautiful stores, attracting customers wherever they shop, and generating sales. Online businesses using BigCommerce can outsell and outperform those on other platforms.
About the role
Product designers at BigCommerce are part of the entire product development process, from concept to launch. They work closely with product managers, UX researchers, and engineers to build end to end solutions by understanding the customer problem, iterating on solutions, and shipping finished products. As a Senior Product Designer at BC you will have autonomy to shape the products you work on, while being able to learn from and collaborate with a team of seasoned designers.
As a Senior Product Designer you enjoy influencing product strategy as much as translating complex workflows into intuitive user experiences. At BigCommerce, we are building an ecosystem so our merchants can easily integrate with a variety of third-party channels that let them sell their products anywhere.
You will cultivate an understanding of customer problems and craft experiences that will enable our merchants and their businesses to flourish and succeed. You will have a unique opportunity to work on products that will enhance the BC ecosystem and greatly impact our merchants businesses.
What you’ll do:
- Understand the merchant and developer problem sets, competitor solutions in the market and trends in e-commerce to help advocate for your design solutions.
- Collaborate with product management, engineering, and business teams to identify product direction, feature set and behaviors for integrations across the platform.
- Create flows, sketches, prototypes, wireframes, and high fidelity mockups using facilitative leadership skills to communicate concepts, solicit feedback and drive an aligned approach among your team and stakeholders.
- Define and guide the team to create a holistic omni-channel user experience, ensuring merchants have a consistent, seamless experience managing and selling their products, regardless of where they sell.
- Design the experience for BigCommerce merchants to easily integrate their store with third party content management services (CMS), like Wordpress.
- Lead user interviews and testing of designs, in partnership with product management and user research
- Participate in design feedback sessions with other product designers to ensure that solutions work with the design system library and are holistic, seamless and familiar
- Take full ownership of your work, and take responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way.
Who you are:
- Collaborative. You understand that solving problems for our users is a team sport.
- A systems thinker. You understand how to define guidelines with structure and flexibility to make the product desirable and usable. Taking the complex and making it simple is a challenge that brings you joy.
- Self-driven. You have superior organizational skills, integrity and great follow through on tasks. You don't get overwhelmed easily.
- Naturally curious. You're innovative, extremely creative and constantly looking for ways to tweak and optimize processes.
- Pragmatic. You appreciate the latest design trends but can easily filter out what is and isn’t useful to your audience. You can look at your design solution and determine what is integral to the experience and what are ‘bells and whistles’.
- User-centered. You care deeply about your users and take extra steps to ensure your designs are addressing their problems.
- Seasoned. You’re comfortable working in a fast paced environment and understand the design process well enough to know when to employ it and when to skip steps.
- Fun! You're flexible, fearless, and excited to help build something awesome.
- A utility player. You're willing to help out wherever needed.
Skills & Abilities:
- 4+ years experience working as a product designer working within a product team to ship successful products to users
- Demonstrated execution of end-to-end design process from discovery to delivery, with artifacts showcasing visual design, interaction design and strategic thinking
- Proven ability to understand business goals, think strategically and work cross functionally across teams
- Experience with and appetite to work on technically challenging, complex projects, such as designing integrations and supporting APIs
- Ability to manage working on several concurrent projects with remote teams
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Expertise designing and prototyping in tools like Figma, with exceptional attention to detail
- Experience working closely with engineering teams in a Scrum or Agile framework
- Degree in Human Computer Interaction, Information Design, Communication Design, or a related design or behavioral science discipline
- A desire to mentor fellow designers