The newly formed Experience Research team is looking for an experienced Senior User Experience Researcher to join us in designing the future of people-centered healthcare.
Ascension, one of the largest non-profit healthcare systems in the United States, has established an in-house, interdisciplinary Research team tasked with shaping the experience strategy and design for digital products and technology-enabled services across the entire spectrum of care delivery. This team - in deep collaboration with colleagues in design, product management, engineering, data science, clinical operations, and more - uses human-centered design methods to understand the needs and motivations of our patients and clinicians and bring solutions to life.
The Experience Research team is responsible for understanding end-to-end patient and provider journeys, challenges, and unmet needs to identify the most impactful opportunities for us to address. As a comprehensive healthcare system that includes a vast range of healthcare services, this could include the design of virtual care delivery, nurse communications, remote health monitoring, operating room operations, financial transparency and payment, care coordination, member health benefits, and more.
Our research team, comprised of User Experience Researchers, Service Designers and Communications Designers, aspires to create seamless, end-to-end experiences for those we serve through a cohesive ecosystem of well-designed, user-friendly services, products, and applications. From problem discovery to product delivery, we put people at the center of everything we do.
This position can be based out of St. Louis, Chicago, or Austin.
What You Will Do
As a Senior User Experience Researcher, you will be at the forefront of the transformation of healthcare by identifying the most meaningful patient and clinician needs for our teams to address. You will work collaboratively with an interdisciplinary team of designers and product managers on field research, concept envisioning, and iterative testing across a wide range of initiatives such as addressing social determinants of health, improving the daily experience of clinical providers, streamlining access to healthcare services, or supporting individuals with chronic conditions, to name a few.
Expert knowledge of research methods and experience applying a mixed-methods research approach for digital products and services are critical to this role. You will be part of a growing team and will help drive research excellence through industry best practices. Using powerful insight-to-impact stories and innovation workshops you will evangelize the value of a human-centered design approach in the organization by helping demonstrate measurable impact that Experience Research has on outcomes.
Please include a link to your portfolio in your application.
- Conduct exploratory, evaluative and summative research studies throughout the product lifecycle
- Design research studies, gather data, synthesize it into actionable insights and disseminate findings to various teams through reports and presentations
- Create research reports, user journey maps, workflows, personas, day-in-the-life scenarios, and use case summaries to help deepen organizational understanding of our users
- Collaborate with designers, product managers and engineers to test design concepts and engineering prototypes through lean research and usability testing
- Facilitate innovation workshops and envisioning exercises with cross-functional stakeholders based on opportunities identified through research
What You Will Need
- Strong knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and their application throughout the product lifecycle
- Experience conducting ethnography, semi-structured interviews, focus groups, contextual field visits, workflow analysis, usability testing, and human factors studies
- Experience leading design research activities for digital products and services
- Strong knowledge of user-centered design principles
- Working knowledge of statistical methods
- Strong ability to work independently as well as in groups
- Willingness to travel (in the future)
- High school diploma/GED with 2 years of experience, or Associate's degree, or Bachelor's degree required.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Human Factors, Design Research, Service Design, Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Human Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, Industrial Design, or similar field highly preferred.
- 3 years of professional experience in user experience research required.
- 5 years of professional experience in user experience research preferred.
Why Join Our Team
When you join Ascension, you join a team of over 160,000 individuals across the country committed to a Mission of serving others and providing compassionate, personalized care to all. Our inclusive culture, continuing education programs, career coaches and benefit offerings are just a few of the resources and tools that team members can use to create a rewarding career path. In fact, Ascension spent nearly $46 million in tuition assistance alone to support associate growth and development. If you are looking for a career where you can grow and make a difference in your community, we invite you to join our team today.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Ascension is an equal opportunity employer (EEO) and affords equal opportunity to all associates and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the "EEO is the Law" poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
This employer participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.