Vice President of Design
About our Design Philosophy:
We believe in the power of design to create a more meaningful experience for both sides of our vacation rental marketplace. Our multidisciplinary design team works in-house not because it makes production easier, but because human-centered design is essential to our product, brand and creative strategies. We draw strength from a diversity of perspectives, disciplines and technical skills. We use empirical data, behavioral research, and seasoned intuition to translate our customers’ needs into expertly crafted, highly usable experiences. We test our design vision against the reality of how customers use our products, and we commit to getting better together.
What you’ll do:
As the Vice President of Design, you own and drive the overall cohesive vision for product, design and brand alike. This includes visual and interactive design, design language system, brand creative development, video production, and content. You are a growth mindset individual that promotes a culture where ideas flow and feedback informs. You inspire excellence in craft and are a catalyst for strategic thinking. As an advocate for our team, you ensure that the value and function of user-centered design are appreciated and embraced throughout the entire organization. Your team raises the design aptitude of the company worldwide.
- Clearly set and articulate a vision for the design team that informs the strategic direction of our digital products
- Inform and shape overarching design strategy and quality bar through a deep understanding of our audiences
- Communicate and evangelize the strategies and tactics to move towards being a design-led organization
- Translate vision into action through exceptional communication and people management skills
- Cultivate strong partnerships across Technology, Product, Global Brand and Customer Support.
- Build relationships with the marketing creative team and own the intersection of design functions.
- Play a central role in recruiting, mentoring, developing and retaining design talent
- Oversee design team of 50+ team members based mostly in Austin but with teams in London, Madrid, India, Singapore and Sydney; manage 4-6leadership-level reports.
- Strengthen influence and respect as the face of Design within the organization and collaborate with stakeholders to align vision with org strategy
- Evangelize our team’s impact within the design, technology and travecommunities
Who you are:
- 15+ years overall experience in digital design; at least 7 years of experience developing and leading teams
- Demonstrated expertise in the fundamentals and methods of digital design and user experience
- Portfolio of world class work you have driven as a creative leader is a must.
- Given the unique opportunity to manage the video production and brand creative design teams, familiarity with these disciplines through either direct involve mentor agency management experience is highly desired.
- Proven ability to bring products to market and improve through both iteration and innovation.
- Experience with 360 campaigns, TV commercials and creative that raises brand affinity through consistent, cohesive level of craft.
- Established track record of mentoring and managing teams through a rapidly changing consumer landscape.
- Evidence that you pursue a collaborative approach to problem-solving and organizational alignment.
- Demonstrated fluency in using design principles to drive decision making and cohesive user experiences
- Digital consumer experience design is a must. eCommerce or Marketplace experience design is a plus.
What we offer:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.