ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for a Visual Designer to join Aceable’s Learning Experience team and ensure our students receive the best education to accomplish their life goals. Your job will have you partnering with writers, instructional designers, motion designers, and content experts to create visually diverse, engaging, and educational content for 1.8 million students. Reporting to and working with the Creative Services Manager, you will be expected to be highly collaborative, driven, and resourceful in a fast-paced, digital environment.
Aceable is a mobile education platform that focuses on creating affordable, engaging, and convenient online courses available across all of your mobile devices. Built by former teachers, NASA engineers, and those passionate about education, the Austin-based team is obsessed with helping people reach life goals and milestones through online certification.
After launching its first mobile app to provide accredited driver's ed courses, Aceable expanded into real estate education and is quickly becoming one of the leading online real estate schools in the U.S. To date, Aceable touts more than 20 million students and counting. The team is proud of the hundred thousand plus students we're adding to the Aceable family per month. We're only getting started and we need your help to get us to our vision of millions of students per month.
Aceable was named winner of the Austin Chamber of Commerce’s Austin A-List for the Hottest Growing Startup in 2017 and awarded as one of the Best Places to Work in Austin for multiple years running by numerous entities, such as the Austin Business Journal, BuiltInAustin, and EqualOcean. We actively work to foster a creative, collaborative, and diverse culture whose overall mission is to impact as many student-lives as possible.
OUR LEARNING EXPERIENCE TEAM
Our Learning Experience team is a welcoming, fun, and driven group of instructional designers, writers, video producers, and graphic designers with a shared mission: we make high-stakes, regulated education approachable and engaging, and we care obsessively about our results. In close collaboration with the product team, we strive to create effective, user-centric online courses that move beyond digital substitution. We learn fast, pivot quickly, and create products to drive the best outcomes for the largest number of students. We live by our Aceable core values, and are a positive, humble, and supportive team.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Conceptualize, sketch, design, and produce original content (including but not limited to: infographics, iconography, illustrations, gifs, and long-form documents & forms) for use in interactive courses that drive student success and strong outcomes
- Collaborate with the LX team to creatively problem solve around complex subjects, identify new opportunities to enhance curriculum through visuals and interactivities, and ultimately provide the best possible student experience
- Work across various design platforms — Adobe Creative Cloud, Vyond Studio (a SaaS animation solution), Canva, etc. — to create content
- Use and help maintain Aceable’s brand voice, tone, and design guidelines. We even have a robot named Ace who teaches our students
- Manage and maintain our asset library and project files
- Learn and work with Aceable’s proprietary course management tools to upload, deploy, and manage assets
- Look for and identify opportunities to create great work and workflows that are efficient and effective, with an eye towards scalability over time
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 3+ years of visual/digital design experience in a consumer and/or student-facing industry
- Digital portfolio (site or pdf) of recent and relevant work
- Proven set of design fundamentals (Typography, Color, Layout, Balance, Composition, etc.) and strong problem-solving skills
- Highly collaborative mindset when working closely with fellow designers, writers, project managers, and instructional designers
- Ability to communicate ideas and plans through sketches (as elementary as they may be)
- Ability to propose a variety of solutions to given design problems and outline/explain their value, the varied levels of resource intensity, bandwidth requirements for solutions, etc.
- Strong organizational skills applied to file naming conventions, archival and backup of project related files
- Expertise and working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud
- An understanding of and interest in interaction design; while this is not a product designer role, thinking through how a student interacts with our content and questions is something the LX team does regularly
- A background in, or passion for, illustration and animation; a good portion of our content is scenario-driven, which means we create stories and characters that often need to be visualized
- Join one of Austin's Best Places to Work in 2020
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Generous time off programs
- Flexible work schedule
- Passionate, high-achieving teammates excited to help you succeed and learn
- Our own space on the top floor of a downtown building
- A team meal every week
- Fully stocked drink fridges and snacks + cold brew coffee on tap
- Company events & activities (Holiday events, happy hours, quarterly volunteering)
- Free parking spot downtown in our garage 24/7 or a monthly transportation stipend
- Education stipend ($500/year/employee)
- Free Roadside Assistance subscription
- NOTE: Our team is currently remote due to Covid-19 and we have some awesome virtual perks that come with it (trivia, karaoke, bingo, happy hours, lunch & learns, and more)
At Aceable we celebrate and support all differences. Aceable is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital, disability, and veteran status.