BigCommerce, named a "Best Place to Work" in Austin 2017, is looking for a VP of Design who is a thought leader to represent Design inside and outside of the company. This person will collaborate across the entirety of BigCommerce to create a seamless, user-centered product and marketing design culture that deliver on our brand promise.
As the VP, Design, you will be responsible for ensuring a high standard in UX and the look + feel across our brand, sales, marcomm, and product channels. You will have the opportunity to partner with leaders across all of our business functions to set a vision for world-class design in their areas. Your team of designers spanning visual storytelling, UX research & design, and UI design will support you in delivering high-value solutions to the tens-of-thousands of merchants on our platform.
What you’ll do:
- Communicate design strategy and vision at all levels, balancing the guiding ‘north star’ with the need to be tactical and delivery-oriented.
- Lead design execution to a high standard while aligning the design team to both functional and corporate strategies.
- Ensure functional teams are constantly aligned to customer-focus via best practices, UX research, and appropriate solution validation.
- Manage, mentor, and grow a world-class team of designers.
- Set the cultural and environmental tone for the design team to work effectively—including design team collaboration as well as cross-functional partnership.
- Drive our competency framework and career progression to ensure development paths for team members.
- Create management and success structure that enables each designer’s greatness at BigCommerce.
- Proactively identify and resolve issues that may impair the team’s ability to meet its goals.
- Create a framework to provide inspiration, coaching, educational, and development opportunities to designers.
- Organize and extend teams to ensure design excellence and effectiveness across all areas of the business.
- Establish a partner and team-oriented design culture.
- Ensure a high-quality Design output, respecting business requirements, brand values, design excellence and deadlines.
- Identify process improvement opportunities and implement relevant design processes to manage the supply of design resource.
- Manage budgets and ensure schedules align to corporate-level commitments.
- Partner closely with engineering, product, marketing, sales and others to find practical solutions to problems.
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in appropriate field, such as Design or HCI.
- A demonstrated fluency in brand, visual, and user experience design.
- 15+ years relevant design and UX experience with a solid understanding of design methods, tools and processes & 10+ years experience in design leadership or management function with a track record of hiring & developing high-performing design teams.
- Experience and expertise in high-level product and marketing strategy.
- Able to guide others through ambiguity, coach them to articulate a point of view and identify the path to a high-quality end result.
- Sharp presentation skills, including executive presentations and public speaking at events, etc.
- Objective and leveled facilitation skills, able to make tough decisions with others and effectively align teams to your rationale.
- Willingness for occasional travel to your people that are located across all four of our offices.
BigCommerce is a robust, flexible commerce platform that provides established and emerging brands with everything they need to launch, promote, manage and scale a successful online store.BigCommerce merchants earn more than retailers on competitive commerce solutions thanks to advanced features, better site performance and streamlined business processes. Founded in 2009, the company has received more than $100 million in funding from SoftBank Capital, American Express, Telstra Ventures, General Catalyst, Revolution Growth and FLOODGATE. BigCommerce supports thousands of retailers around the world from its offices in San Francisco, Austin and Sydney.
We’re a team of smart, passionate and talented people on a mission to democratize commerce. If you’re looking to work with industry leaders and love what you do, we want to hear from you!
Perks & Benefits
- An amazing company culture that doesn’t just talk values, but lives them
- Open vacation policy for salaried team members and generous accrual vacation policy for hourly team members, + paid sick time
- Competitive compensation packages and meaningful stock grants for every employee
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage that starts on day one
- Fully stocked kitchens and craft beers (don’t worry, we also subsidize gym memberships)
- Four especially cool offices in Austin, San Francisco and Sydney
- A free online store to help you live out your entrepreneurial dreams
- Employee-driven teambuilding activities like paintball, rock climbing, social sports leagues, hackathons, movie nights, river floats, etc.
- Time off for volunteering and employee-driven charity events