Associate Technical Services Engineer at MongoDB
MongoDB Technical Services Engineers use their exceptional problem solving and customer service skills, along with their deep technical experience, to advise customers and to solve their complex MongoDB problems. Technical Service Engineers are experts in the entire MongoDB ecosystem - database server, drivers, cloud and infrastructure. This also includes services such as Atlas (database as a service), Ops and Cloud Manager (which helps customers with automation, backup and monitoring of their MongoDB systems) as well as other products in our portfolio. Our engineers combine their MongoDB expertise with passion, initiative, teamwork and a great sense of humor to help our customers to be successful with MongoDB.
You will be a key part of our elite Technical Services organization that supports MongoDB customers worldwide, with teams in locations like New York, Austin, Palo Alto, Buenos Aires, Sydney, Dublin and Tel Aviv. We are also considering experienced remote workers.
Why MongoDB is a fantastic place to work and build your career
- Be a part of the company that’s reinventing the database, passionate about innovation and speed
- Enjoy a fun, inspiring culture that is engineering focused
- Work with exceptionally talented people around the globe
- Learn, contribute, and make an impact on the product and community
Cool things you’ll do
MongoDB is on a mission to change the way people think about databases. Along the way, our customers encounter questions and issues about how our approach to databases works for their use case. In Technical Services, it's our job to help these people.
You will be working alongside our largest customers, solving their complex issues - resolving questions on architecture, performance, recovery, security, and everything in between.
You will advise customers on the right approach for securing HIPAA data applications deployed to critical care facilities or provide guidance to minimize query latency in a multi-sharded cryptocurrency application. Other times, you will work with startups to minimize their infrastructure footprint through the use of performant schema design while also integrating with their container deployment system to achieve efficient on-demand capacity.
You'll be an authority on best practices in running MongoDB at scale, whatever that scale may be. You'll be an advocate for customers' needs - collaborating with our product management and development teams on their behalf.
For the right candidate, your work alongside our customers will provide incredible insights into the patterns and nuances of our products and flavors of implementation. You'll contribute to internal projects, including software development of support tools for performance, benchmarking, and diagnostics aimed at enhancing our ability to quickly and accurately resolve customer issues.
What you need
We consider all candidates with an eye for those who are self taught, curious, and multi-faceted.
You will have strong experience in at least two of the following areas: application architecture, systems administration, network administration, development, solution architecture, automation, or hardware performance tuning and benchmarking. If you have an operations background, we prefer experience administering large-scale production environments, including hardware, operating systems (e.g. Linux, Windows), networks (including firewalls and load balancers), as well as cloud-based resources (e.g. AWS, Azure, OpenStack).
It’s crucial for every candidate that they can check off all of these boxes
- Confidence handling high pressure crises; production down, “seconds matter” situations
- Comfortable working at the command line
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Genuine desire to help people
- Uncontrollable urge to investigate and solve problems, with advanced diagnostic and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to think on your feet and remain calm under pressure
- Desire and ability to rapidly learn a wide variety of new technical skills
- Strong teamwork: willingness and ability to get help from team members when required, and the good judgment to know when to seek help
Candidates should have a mix of experience across
- Systems administration
- Distributed systems
- Network administration
- Database architecture and administration
- Application architecture
- Data architecture and design
- Performance tuning and benchmarking
- End user experience using system monitoring, backup, and operations management technologies (including but not limited to Cloud Manager, Kubernetes, OpenStack, VMWare, Kafka, New Relic, Glacier, HP Operations Manager, IBM Tivoli, Nagios, or Oracle Cloud)
- Experience with cloud-based infrastructure solutions such as AWS, Azure, OpenStack, or Google Compute Engine
- Technical writing and/or training
- Experience using distributed version control systems, and in particular git
- Previous work experience with JIRA and SalesForce Service Cloud
- Experience using or managing MongoDB or other database solutions (RDBMS or NoSQL)
- General knowledge or experience with automation technologies such as Chef or Puppet
- Understanding of data storage technologies
- Language skills (Japanese, Mandarin, Korean, German, Spanish, French are all plusses)
*MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.*