Atlassian is looking for a talented Back End Developer to join the Confluence Scale and Decomposition team in Mountain View or remote. You will have a direct impact on the customer experience through the design and implementation of key foundational infrastructure pieces that help Confluence remain performant while scaling up to handle the data and load generated by our largest customers. The Scale and Decomposition team is responsible for ensuring Confluence's foundations can support customers with great performance at any scale, now and for the future. You'll work as part of a rapidly growing high-energy team delivering incredible, creative improvements to our product architecture. You'll collaborate with other developers to write the best code for the project and deliver amazing results that our users love.
On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- Proficiency in Java programming (or other modern object-oriented language, such as C++, C# or python) and debugging
- Solid fundamental skills in data structures, algorithms, and web development best practices
- Strong engineering skills in building well-tested, reliable software components
- Ability to deep-dive and diagnose system bottlenecks via monitoring and metrics
- Proficiency in relational databases and handling data at scale
- Ability to work closely with support engineers on customer-facing issues
- Knowledge to evaluate trade-offs between correctness, robustness, performance, space, and time
- Understanding of SaaS, PaaS, IaaS industry with hands-on experience with public cloud offerings (e.g., AWS, GAE, Azure)
It's great, but not required if you have:
- Experience crafting and implementing highly scalable and performant RESTful and GraphQL based micro-services
- Experience working with distributed eventing systems, i.e. Kafka
- Familiarity with reactive programming frameworks, i.e. Spring Webflux, RXJava
- Experience with large-scale distributed systems
- Practical knowledge of agile software development methodologies (e.g., XP, scrum)
- Experience with continuous delivery and infrastructure as code
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who's who of tech is why we're here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned-collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we're looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we're committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team .
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified and you think you can rock the role, we'd love to learn more about you.
Learn more about Atlassian's culture, interviewing flow, and hiring process by checking out our Candidate Resource Hub .