COVID 19 UPDATE:
We have leaned into the current health crisis with the development of new features like Volusion Curbside. Since March, we have hired more than a dozen new Volusioneers with no signs of slowing down. We are actively interviewing for key roles in order to keep up with our product roadmap goals. During these unprecedented times Volusion continues to provide stability and growth opportunities to our employees and merchants alike.
We are doing our part to flatten the curve so for the time being all interviews will be conducted virtually. As a company ALL employees are currently working remotely.
We are looking for a Backend Engineer that is all about building quality. If you like to build scalable architecture, have a keen eye for performance, and love to level up the backend development practices on your team, you’re the type of engineer we’re looking for. We have a product with well-defined features that need exceptional engineers to implement them with a long term strategic vision and determination.
Volusion powers thousands of ecommerce sites - from fledgling entrepreneurs like local artists selling handmade goods to mid market businesses processing millions of dollars in online sales every year. If you're a creative professional that has a passion for driving change and you want to better the world with your ideas, we want to hear from you!
- Build performant server-side rendering for E-Commerce storefronts: Better speed means better SEO, and better SEO means more sales. You’ll take our renderer–already an industry leader in speed–and make it even faster and more scalable while maintaining AMP compliance for our merchants.
- Design and implement APIs for third-party developers: Our site designer is architected from the ground up for third-party developers to integrate with and build upon. You will ensure that experience is first class by building secure, easy to understand, and well-documented APIs.
- Solve with creativity and autonomy: We don’t always want the simplest solution to a problem. We want great solutions that exhibit creativity, address our customers’ needs, and allow you to flex your programming muscles.
- Move fast: We like to go! Failure is not getting something wrong; it’s taking so long to get something right that we miss an opportunity. If you like ownership and aren’t afraid to try things, adjust, improve, take responsibility, and try again, you’ll love our fast-paced engineering culture.
We are looking for someone with:
- 4+ years building web applications at scale
- Experience building APIs in Node.js with Typescript (or a similar language and willingness to adapt)
- Experience with both SQL and no-SQL Databases, as well as search and caching
- Ability to design and implement high level architectural choices as well as communicate those designs with other engineers
- Experience working for a SaaS company in an agile environment
- Experience working in a fully CI/CD pipeline
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Software, or other Engineering discipline
We would prefer someone with:
- Experience with PostgreSQL and MongoDB
- Experience with server side rendering
- Experience with Algolia and Redis for search and caching
- Knowledge of page speed insights and SEO best practices
- E-Commerce experience, both as a developer and as a merchant
- Experience building website builders
Volusion’s Technology Stack:
- MobX, MobX State Tree, and server-side and client-side rendering
- Public-facing REST APIs
- Google Cloud Platform including Kubernetes, Firebase, and managed database services
- SQL and no-SQL Databases; specific experience with PostgreSQL and MongoDB is a plus
- Search and caching using Elasticsearch, RediSearch, Algolia, and Redis
Who is also the embodiment of our culture code (we hope you are nodding your head in agreement as you browse through it!):
- Humble: Have humility and be respectful; no egos allowed.
- Effective: Get stuff done!
- Adaptable: Willing to fill any role, anytime. Going above/beyond the call of duty.
- Transparent: Open and honest to self and others.
- Collaborative: We favor teamwork and take ownership.
- A founder: Think big, go fast, and solve for the customer.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive Compensation Packages
- 401(k) with Company Matching
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Remote Work Flexibility
- Two Volunteer Days Off
- Professional Development Opportunities for Career and Skills Advancement
- On-site Fitness and Yoga Classes
- Casual Dress
- Breakfast Taco Fridays
- Endless Supply of Tiny House Nitro Coffee, Bevi sparkling water, fruit and snacks
- Bring Your Dog to Work Days
- Adjustable Desks
- Chair Massages
- Team Sports and Team Outings