Backend Node JS Engineer at FloSports
FloSports has led the way in establishing a world-class digital streaming experience for millions of fans, families and athletes of over 25 different underserved sports. Imagine creating a digital platform that unites the casual fan with the most dedicated spectator, both experiencing thrilling live events from around the world with interactive features, real time analytics, powerful broadcast technology and more. Combine that with our unique original sports content ranging from breaking news and expert commentary to feature films, documentaries and multi-episodic series. That’s what FloSports is all about. We have successfully revolutionized the global sports media industry- the result of creating a diverse team of technologists and die-hard wrestlers, creators and devoted cheerleading experts, designers and hockey enthusiasts, communicators and motorsport fanatics, producers and casual sports fans… united by a shared passion to delight the underrepresented communities we serve. We are creating a home for underserved sports and we’re looking for people like you to help us.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Live team. We are a direct-to-consumer subscription-based sports media company that streams live events across 25 different sports (e.g. Cycling, Track and Field, Wrestling, Racing, Bowling, Marching Band, and more) to millions of athletes & fans around the world.
We are open to remote candidates for this role.
As a full-stack engineer on our Live team, you’ll be paramount in delivering the core value proposition that we offer our customers: a delightful, reliable live streaming product. You will join the team that is responsible for building out our API services, automation of provisioning our video encoding & clipping tech, and creating front-ends for monitoring and orchestration of live streams.
People who do well on this team are self-motivated engineers with passion and grit for both business and technological innovation. Our systems are built upon the Google Cloud Platform with TypeScript, Node.js, MySQL, Firebase/Firestore, Docker, and Kubernetes. The ability to embrace & adapt with changing technology is an important characteristic!
If this sounds like you, we want to talk!
You’ll want to work with us if:
- You have a strong technical background and a passion for creating clean, clear, and maintainable software systems
- You are a self-starter and highly motivated to deliver top-tier, yet pragmatic solutions that teammates want to build upon
- You prioritize simplicity, finesse, and empathy for the end user
- You advocate and improve on code quality, automated tests, CI/CD initiatives, and the developer experience
- You enjoy collaborating on a team with other engineers, product, designers, and marketing to create experiences that impact millions of sports fans
We would love to work with you if you:
- Can iterate rapidly while collaborating with designers, product, and other engineers
- Have backend experience working with databases and caching layers in a well-architected and scalable way
- Understand RESTful APIs and the importance of detailed documentation (such as Swagger).
- Value using accepted best practices for creating straight-forward, secure, testable, and well-documented software
- Have multiple years of production experience with Node.js
- Believe in the power of cloud computing and have worked extensively with AWS or GCP architecture
- Are curious about new technology from the front-end to APIs to infrastructure in order to more effectively create applications
- Write efficient SQL queries and indexing strategies for MySQL
- Deliver performant features through iterative building, measuring, and learning
- Efficiently learn new concepts, manage your own productivity, and desire to improve yourself, your team, and our products every day
What sets you apart:
- Clear communicator of thoughts and ideas
- Live to create awesome features that grow our product and the sport
- Seek out opinions of others to refine your own
- Passionate about consistently delivering value to users
- Production experience with containers, Docker, Kubernetes
- Can find your way around Wowza Streaming configs
- You have wrestled with ffmpeg and come out victorious
- Experience with Video Encoding, HLS, Dash, CMAF
- Love writing with TypeScript and don’t know how you ever lived without it
- Familiarity with TypeORM and NestJS Node.js framework
- Google Cloud Firebase/Firestore
- Experience with Java
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
At FloSports, we are bonded by our passion for sports and our purpose to unite communities around experiences that finally give underserved sports the love they deserve. We recognize the need to build a company that seeks out, embraces, and celebrates our individual differences, ideas, and talent. FloSports is committed to the pursuit of a fair, equal and inclusive workplace where everyone is given the opportunity to grow to their fullest potential. As such, we are intentional in our hiring practices in an effort to overcome systemic biases we may be blind to. FloSports has adopted the “blind recruiting” process, which aims to open our opportunities up to more candidates, help us be more objective in how we review applicants and mitigate bias in our decision making processes.
- Recognized two years in a row as a Top Workplace by the Austin-American Statesman
- Flexibility at work - you can take control of your profession and personal schedule
- Strong remote work culture
- All-hands events hosted twice a year in beautiful Austin, Texas
- Annual equity awards for all top performers
- Competitive and comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans
- Peace of mind through company-paid short-term disability, long-term disability and life insurance
- Generous 401(K) company match
- Progressive parental leave policies
- Unlimited paid time off
- Hack-a-thons and a full calendar of team-building and social events
- Free laundry service for all positions that require travel
- Company donation to youth teams and leagues that our employees coach
- Bring your dog to work- everyday!
- Stocked snack bar, catered lunch and breakfast tacos every week