Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or return to an office as they reopen (unless it's necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
Atlassian is looking for a highly motivated and talented engineer with hands-on experience designing and developing cloud-native applications to join our team. You will get to build solutions for internal customers to address their pain-point.
Event Platform is a critical part of Atlassian success. We are the 4th most used internal service at Atlassian and we're on the mission to address all streaming needs at Atlassian. By joining this team, you will be given the chance to work in a balanced team with a good mix of senior and junior engineers, to build creative and robust solutions for customers while helping support with various escalation issues.
What you'll do
As a backend software engineer, you will be part of a team of many talented engineers to design and implement the most innovative solutions to various services & features that the team owns. You will also frequently interact with other teams at Atlassian as well as Architects to build the features encompassing architecture design, backend development, monitoring and set a high bar for operational excellence of services that the team owns.
Candidates would benefit from previous experience developing and architecting micro-services.
You should have significant experience as an engineer building large-scale distributed systems. On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- More than 3 years experience building and developing backend applications
- Bachelor's or Master's degree with a preference for Computer Science degree
- Experience developing and operating web applications in AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, or similar public cloud providers.
- Proven experience across the board with a strong depth of knowledge in the following technologies: Java, Kotlin, Go or other programming languages.
- Ability to design public APIs, coupled with a passion for writing clean code.
- Experience building service from the ground up is preferred - from gathering requirements, design, build, deploy, and ownership.
- Solid understanding of application performance and designing low latency, high-speed platform applications.
- Excellent prioritization and self-organizing skills.
- Familiarity with Agile software development methodologies.
- Have outstanding verbal and written communication skills. You will need to explain your proposals well enough that others understand their value.
- Experience setting a very high bar for excellence across your engineering team and putting systems in place to measure against that bar.
- Ability to work well in a team, have a positive attitude, patience, and humility.
More about the team
We are always growing, learning, and adapting, in and out of the office. You'll be joining a team that is smart and very direct. We embody the Atlassian values , ask the hard questions and challenge each other to constantly improve our work.
This highly talented team owns some of the most critical capabilities of the Atlassian Data team. The engineers excel in taking on scalability challenges, understanding the security aspects of authentication flows, and operating micro-services at a very large scale. We are passionate about technology, but we also like to take breaks from work. We love going out for team lunches (when offices are open), and we like to spend time together in team social events on Fridays.
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world's best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team .
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub .