Self Financial is a venture-backed, high-growth FinTech company with a mission to increase economic inclusion and financial resilience by empowering people to build credit and build savings.
We're looking for people who share our passion and are driven to tackle challenges, find solutions and make the financial space better for the communities we serve.
Our team is passionate about challenging the status quo of the credit industry by providing people accessible tools to take control of their credit. Executing on our mission requires deep collaboration across our teams to ensure our products reach the people who can benefit from them the most, particularly the 100 million+ Americans who have no or low credit.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. To that end, we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Join the Self Financial Backend Platform Engineering Team and build the foundation of how we change lives!
As a Backend Engineer on our Platform Engineering Teams you will be working at the very core of how we build and enhance our credit-building products and services. A majority of your time will be spent on writing clean and effective code which you will manage from inception through deployment. You will collaborate directly with lead engineers, architecture, and product managers and work alongside our amazing team of professional engineers.
The incredible project domains you will work on:
Our Platform Engineering Teams work to provide impactful solutions at a massive scale. Our focus areas include:
- Payments: Enable a highly available, secure, and feature rich customer payment experience across all of Self Financial’s products and services.
- Credit Reporting: Work in the heart and soul of our mission! Enable timely, accurate credit reporting to all major credit reporting agencies.
- Partner Integrations: Build solutions that develop strong integrations with our bank partners.
- Tooling: Connect Self Financial data into world class vendors like Salesforce, NetSuite, and more!
Teams that make a difference; individuals that matter:
At Self Financial, we love to put challenges into the hands of talented individuals to solve. Our teams are composed of skilled software engineers who participate in all areas of our creation process including systems design, solution architecture, planning and execution. At Self, we welcome and celebrate team members who show initiative, creativity and drive and encourage individuals to make a direct impact on our mission.
About the role:
- Develop capabilities that support our credit building products and banking core systems.
- Develop services and infrastructure that provide essential functions at a massive scale.
- Work closely with product managers to build tools and systems required for us to service our financial products to our large customer base.
- Report to an engineering manager and work with our amazing team of professional engineers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline.
- 2+ years of software engineering experience.
- Solid understanding and application of computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms and design patterns.
- Experience with the development of Python/Flask code in a production environment.
- Experience with SQL and relational databases such as PostgreSQL.
- Experience in the container space such as Docker.
- Experience with AWS and other related cloud architectures/services is a plus.
- Experience with common software engineering tools such as Git (or other VCS), Jira, Confluence and similar platforms.
We have the compensation and benefits you expect. But, there's one thing that Self Financial can offer that many startups cannot: we can positively change the world, while making a profit. We are a team of Builders, empowering our customers to build their dreams. We have a Do the Right Thing ethos in all that we do, and we hope you value that approach, too.
Our perks include:
- Stock options
- Quarterly performance-based bonuses
- Generous employer-paid health, vision and dental insurance coverage
- Flexible vacation policy
- Educational assistance
- Free gym membership
- Free at-home workout through Sworkit
- Casual dress code
- Team building events and activities
- Remote work arrangements/ flexible work schedule
- Paid parental leave
Self Financial requires all employees hired to successfully pass a background check.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This Privacy Notice is for applicants who reside in California. We adopt this notice to
comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) and other
California privacy laws. Any terms defined in the CCPA have the same meaning
when used in this notice.
Information We Collect
We collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is capable of
being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a
particular consumer or device (“personal information”).
last twelve (12) months:
Identifiers. A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal
identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email
address, account name, Social Security number, driver's
license number, passport number, or other similar
Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code §
A name, signature, Social Security number, physical
characteristics or description, address, telephone number,
passport number, driver's license or state identification
card number, insurance policy number, education,
employment, employment history, bank account number,
credit card number, debit card number, or any other
financial information, medical information, or health
insurance information. Some personal information
included in this category may overlap with other
Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national
origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status,
medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex
(including gender, gender identity, gender expression,
pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions),
sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic
information (including familial genetic information).
Internet or other similar network
Browsing history, search history, information on a
consumer's interaction with a website, application, or
Professional or employment-
Current or past job history or performance evaluations.
Use of Personal Information
following business purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason for which the information is provided.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- As necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property or safety of us, our clients or others.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA.
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us is among the assets transferred.
- We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to amend this privacy notice at our discretion and at any time.
When we make changes to this privacy notice, we will notify you.
If you have any questions or comments about this notice, please do not hesitate to