Cloud - Principal Software Engineer - Platform at Elastic
At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Beats, and Logstash — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. We unite Elasticians across 30+ countries (and counting!), 18 timezones, and 30 different languages into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.About The Role
You are a Principal Software Engineer responsible for technical design and strategy across several core areas of Elastic’s Cloud offerings. You like to lead by example and write code, you’re an experienced mentor and leader who enjoys helping others think through technical problems, and working with teams to come up with elegant solutions.
You excel at debugging complex failure scenarios and analyzing bugs. You’ll analyze our current system, it’s strengths and limitations. Additionally, you are great at developing the roadmap and project planning efforts and will have ownership for delivering it.Some of the things you'll work on
- You are an experienced software engineer who likes to have a deep understanding of the codebase. You are an experienced code reviewer, and provide constructive feedback and set the strategy / roadmap for complex software products
- Review and create technical designs and build POCs for new efforts, validating a wild idea works before committing to it
- Provide technical leadership to the team to help combine Elastic’s products (Elasticsearch, Kibana, Beats, Machine Learning...) with cloud management technologies (Kubernetes, Docker...) to create reliable and scalable Cloud solutions for customers
- Debug meaningful technical issues inside a very deep and complex stack involving virtualization, containers, microservices, etc.
- Tackle challenging performance problems as we continue to scale our SaaS offering
- Work on a global scale, with all the major Cloud hosting providers: AWS, GCP, Azure, IBM Cloud etc.
- Work with team to help build scalable solutions to deliver the best customer experience
- Understand our company strategy and help to translate it into technical terms and guide our Cloud product’s direction to realize it
- Be a contact for other teams in Cloud or Elastic. Examples include helping Support with difficult cases or consulting the Elastic Stack engineers with designing new features in a Cloud compatible way
- Previous experience providing pragmatic technical leadership for a group of senior software engineers
- Previous experience in a role with ownership for technical direction (roadmap) and strategy, preferably in a start-up or scale-up environment
- Previous experience working with stakeholders outside of Engineering
- Proven experience as a software engineer, with a track record of delivering high quality code, preferably in Go, Java, or Python.
- Ability to communicate well with individuals and groups to accomplish a common set of goals
- Technical depth in one or more technologies relevant for SaaS (orchestration, networking, docker, etc.)
- Deep understanding of the HTTP layer and RESTful API design standards
- Familiarity with standard RESTful API authentication methods and security best practices
- You care deeply about the resilience and quality of the features you ship
- You love working with a global team in a distributed work environment