Cloud Services Engineering Manager
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia, Inc. family of brands. HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online.
What You’ll Do:
The right person for the job will be managing and evolving the Cloud Services team within HomeAway’s Cloud Platform Engineering organization. As the leader of this team, you will have the opportunity to build, deploy and scale the routing and service mesh framework that forms the core of our Multi-PaaS micro-services platform. This platform is rooted in the principle of infrastructure as code and is constantly evolving and integrating new and interesting technologies. You’ll be expected to evaluate and drive the adoption of the latest open-source tools available to enable a seamless experience between our bare metal, public and private cloud environments.
What You’ll Get:
As a leader, you will be expected to drive HomeAway's engineering culture, by building, evangelizing and supporting the environments used by all of HomeAway's engineers globally. You’ll have the chance to drive the development experience on the bleeding edge of cloud technologies. Our ever-growing footprint will give you the opportunity to work at scale while being creative in an agile team. You’ll be joining a credible team where people go out of their way to help each other succeed. You’ll also get to work with stakeholders across the globe gaining international experience to solve problems of scale and speed in a fast-growing multi-sided travel market place.
- Build and manage a team of engineers responsible for design, development and deployment of highly scalable programmatic routing infrastructure serving millions of requests per day.
- Lead and plan the design, and implementation of DevOps capabilities in complex, multiple region, multi cluster environments.
- Build world class support team which is quick to respond and quick to fix.
- Collaborate with platform, product and other cloud teams within HomeAway and broader
- Expedia organization.
- Organize, promote, and drive DevOps principles within the team.
- Hire, motivate and retain great engineering talent.
- Build a team committed to quality, velocity, and a scientific mindset.
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of software engineering experience in a large enterprise or web-scale environment.
- Strong track-record of building and leading platform engineering team focused on infrastructure and support.
- Development experience - Java Web Applications, Service Oriented Architecture and Micro-Services
- Knowledge of configuration management tools, monitoring tools, cloud platforms, and software delivery tools.
- Experience with Java and Scala, NodeJS,Ruby, Python, Go, etc.
- Knowledge of micro-services networking, load balancing, and service discovery concepts and technologies.
- Experience with Mesos, Kubernetes, Docker,Rancher, AWS, Azure, VMWare, etc.
- Experience with Consul, DataDog,Kafka, Splunk, Vault preferred.
- Experience with HAProxy, Nginx,Linkerd.
- Committed to curating and growin Open Source Projects.Please provide Github links if appropriate.
- Experience in collaborating with geographically distributed teams is a plus.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.