Data Center Physical Security Lead at Cloudflare
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the Role
We are not looking for a “been there, done that” approach to physical security in our data centers. We are looking for someone excited about solving physical world challenges with next-generation technology on a global scale. You will be partnering with other teams to unify physical and digital access into one cohesive access management and incident response strategy.
What You’ll Do
As part of Cloudflare’s founding data center physical security team, you will be a pivotal member of the Security team. Responsibilities include:
- Lead a global program focused on developing, then deploying innovative physical security technology & operations across our fleet of data centers. This will require traveling to a variety of locations, leading a cross-functional team, building relationships with our partners and working in an agile environment.
- Manage a team of contracted employees to audit our fleet of data centers.
- Work alongside our infrastructure partners to enhance their standard operating procedures ensuring compliance with physical security standards and controls.
- Utilize Cloudflare products to secure our physical security technology and work with the product teams to create new features and products applicable to the IOT / physical security space.
- Continue to build and manage our global physical security program. This includes our physical access control system, video management system, and intrusion detection systems.
- Establish, implement, and automate our physical security standards, policies, and processes globally. Support implementation of operational metrics, project tracking, and status / blockers reporting as needed.
- Partner with IT, Networking, Infrastructure, Places Team, and third party vendors / contractors to deploy and manage physical security hardware and software at Cloudflare offices and data centers.
- Run pilots to assess if new technologies and services are worthy of longer term investment.
- Occasionally travel to Cloudflare locations to oversee and perform physical security control build outs.
- Assist in managing our physical security guard force across all Cloudflare locations and optimize the guard deployment by augmenting and substituting with technology solutions where possible.
- Work alongside our Detection and Response (DnR) Team to identify ways to ingest video and access control event alarms into our DnR pipeline and process those through various stages of triage.
- Act as the physical security point of contact for emergency response (e.g. fire, earthquake, active shooter) and disaster recovery.
- Work with the Security Compliance team on developing and implementing physical security controls as it relates to various compliance requirements including but not limited to FedRAMP, ISO 27001 and SOC 2; and support internal and external audits of physical security controls.
- Drive security awareness and compliance across the business and support other Security organization initiatives as needed (i.e. security vendor management).
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Experience managing large scale physical security projects with an emphasis on physical security controls inside data centers
- Understanding of networking security as it relates to physical security technology
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage a large number of projects simultaneously
- Solid understanding of integrating and deploying systems at scale
- Equally adept at strategy formulation and tactical execution
- Demonstrated success in earning trust across a broad variety of stakeholders and making principled decisions
- Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions
- Experience communicating physical security risk plans to the executive leadership
- Ability to make decisions on acceptable physical security risk and drive risk mitigation.
- Experience in or desire to work with multiple time zones and ability to travel to all Cloudflare locations as required; roughly 35% travel required
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
126.96.36.199: We released 188.8.131.52 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.