Director of Data Engineering at Bright Health
- Ship high quality software that drives the Bright Health business forward
- Drive the tactical implementation of an overarching data architecture vision and strategy to maximize the optimization of our enterprise data asset
- Mentor, coach and manage team members
- In partnership with the Data Platform Architect, assist in the selection of PaaS, SaaS and IaaS cloud service providers, and lead the design and implementation of appropriate tools, software and applications to support the larger data platform architecture
- Provide technical expertise and problem-solving capability to individual contributors on your teams
- Hire, retain, and grow great engineers
- Collaborate as a member of the technology leadership team to establish, teach and operate great software engineering practices
- Operate high quality, cloud-based data services, ensuring uptime and performance within SLOs
- Ensure that appropriate tools, techniques and processes are used for development and deployment.
- Conduct code reviews, participate in design and architecture discussions and be responsible for a culture of engineering excellence within your team
- Tune, enhance, and execute our agile development process
- Be accountable for execution of quality assurance plan within your engineering team
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree or comparable work experience required. Computer Science or similar preferred.
- 15+ years of overall software development experience, with increasing team and technical leadership roles required.
- Proficiency with application development against database systems – including at a minimum RDBMS (SQL Server/Postgres/Oracle) and ideally familiarity with NoSQL systems as well (MongoDB, Cassandra, CosmosDB, Elasticsearch etc.).
- Healthcare data background preferred.
- Track record of shipping great software experience and services as a manager and as a software developer required.
- Understanding of DevOps culture and process; cloud-based DevOps experience preferred.