Director, DevOps – Austin, TX
Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 1,000 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. In 2019, Bungalo sold its 250th home, and Amherst managed it 25,000th home. To learn more, please visit www.amherst.com.
Amherst is seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to head our DevOps team, bringing a broad technical knowledge and experience across a variety of IT areas, including infrastructure, development, operations, and quality assurance to lead a team on the build and release cycle for multiple Amherst product suites. Our ideal candidate is a former DevOps Engineer that grew into management, and still enjoys the technical side of what your team does. Responsibilities include configuration management, deployment, continuous integration and monitoring of SaaS offerings. This role will require a good understanding of the tools and technologies available to solve the various problems faced by the team with an emphasis on on-premise and cloud technologies.
- Planning, leading, organizing, executing and motivating Agile DevOps and CI/CD project teams to achieve a high level of performance and quality in delivering leading-edge technology architectures for highly functional production pipelines
- Work with stakeholders to define clear project objectives and requirements, agree on priorities, communicate progress updates and demonstrations, resolve issues and conflicts, and provide responsive change management
- Hire and train personnel, and motivate staff to achieve maximum production levels through strong individual performance, coaching, and leadership
- Administer and support DevOps tools and systems including source control, build automation, and deployment systems
- Manage the day-to-day workflow of the team
- Develop processes to reduce deployment obstacles and improve developer productivity
- Work with development teams to improve scalability, deployability, and monitoring of applications
- Implement and support best practices for Amherst applications
- Monitor application environment and development process to improve performance monitoring
- Design SOPs to improve uptime and stability of Amherst’s applications
- Ensure appropriate security practices are implemented in the production environment
- Consult with the team about the appropriate technology to meet the project objectives
- Implement the solution that is developed within the project timeline, budget, and quality constraints.
- Biased towards action, unafraid to get in the weeds and personally do the work necessary to grow a business
- Enjoy being regarded as a leader and subject matter expert in your field
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Passionate about motivating and helping individuals reach their full potential
- Excited about emerging technology and developing industry trends
- Comfortable in fast-paced and dynamic environments
Desired Skills and Experience:
- BS/BA degree in a technical field such as Computer Science (or equivalent years of experience)
- 8+ Year experience in Development, Software Engineering, or DevOps
- 3+ years of development management experience
- Experience in delegating while maintaining accountability
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server, Big Data technologies, and other SQL products
- Scripting experience (SQL/Python/PowerShell preferred)
- Experience with Cloud-based platforms (Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform) and technologies
- Experience with the Atlassian Tools such as JIRA/Confluence.
- Experience with automating build, deployment, and maintenance tasks
- Experience troubleshooting deployment and application errors in production applications
- Ability to articulate product roadmaps
- Familiarity with microservices
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated technical leadership
- Ability to communicate technical topics at the appropriate level for the audience in both verbal and written form
What We Offer:
Amherst’s WeWork office is located on Barton Springs Rd. near the heart of downtown Austin and within walking distance of Lady Bird Lake.
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO, 8 paid holidays
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Stellar colleagues with proven track records
- Parking pass provided (parking located in the Palmer Events Center across the street)
- Free sodas, kombucha, cold brew, and snacks
- Monthly lunch stipends and breakfast tacos on Thursdays!
- Monthly/Weekly office events!
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.