Director of Engineering, Booking Platform
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia Group family of brands. HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and run bookings online.
About HomeAway's Booking Platform team
The Booking Platform team is responsible for developing and maintaining the online booking capabilities and services used by our partner and traveler experience teams.
What you’ll do
- The Director of Engineering, Booking Platform leads multiple engineering teams at HomeAway.
- Serves as the technical leader and provides architectural guidance for the Booking Platform engineering teams.
- Works with various partners to understand requirements and help craft specifications for the engineering team.
- Develops strong relationships with product management and other development organizations within HomeAway and across Expedia Group.
- Understands the needs and function of peer organizations within the Booking Services portfolio (for example Payments).
- Drives a sound development process for the Booking Platform engineers.
- Provides guidance on testing methodology.
- Demonstrates the ability to work effectively with remote teams.
- Provides developmental feedback, coaching and mentorship to Engineers and Managers on the team.
Who you are
- Demonstrated Engineering Leader for an ecommerce solution
- Prior Engineering Leadership experience with a servant leader mindset
- Demonstrated experience with Agile development methodologies
- Hands-on Java, JSON, XML, and Database experience
- Troubleshooting skills and experience debugging issues
- Creative problem solving
- Jira, Linux, AWS experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in diverse, fast paced environment and collaborate across teams
- Passionate about learning and implementing new technologies
- Ability to adapt and master changes to technology and products
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously
- Ability to work independently
- Passionate about customer service
- Desire to continuously evaluate and improve our customer’s experience
- Leads by example
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.