ESO is working to transform healthcare and public safety through integrated product experiences that our Engineering teams create, nurture and evolve. As the Director of Engineering for EMS, you will help power ESO’s mission by creatively adapting the delivery strategies that enable our teams to scale and expand our compelling suite of SaaS offerings. Our teams are comprised of talented, interdisciplinary technologists that are organized by product line using Scrum as our principal agile methodology.
In terms of our platform, ESO’s infrastructure runs primarily in Azure where IaaS, PaaS, and Serverless technologies are employed. Containers and orchestration solutions such as Kubernetes are emergent tools within our microservice architectures as well. You should be familiar with modern DevOps pipelines, event-driven architectures, and cloud technologies that support scalable, distributed systems.
Technical aptitude is clearly important for this position but above all else, we seek leaders who can truly develop high-performing teams. You are expected to lead from the front, with clear vision, direction, and communication skills that enable our engineers to do their best work in an environment where teamwork shines.
What You’ll Be Doing
This role reports to the Senior Director of Healthcare. You can expect to:
· Recruit, hire, and retain A+ talent
· Engage and inspire our engineering teams to create innovative products celebrated by our customers and industry
· Mentor and coach our engineering managers, technical leads, and SCRUM teams to support employee growth and professional development
· Align strategic business goals with technical delivery schedules. This will include high-level planning and sizing of roadmap initiatives, supported by incremental agile delivery metrics for assessing and forecasting progress
· Communicate and report on engineering progress to the organization, including input into regular department updates to senior and executive leadership
· Continuously increase test coverage, harden application security and improve system maintainability throughout the development lifecycle across multiple products
· Assist with managing and forecasting departmental budgets for infrastructure, personnel, software, training, and services
· Define and embed engineering principles collaborating with dev managers, tech leads, and others
· Be an engineering ambassador, actively embedding a culture of continuous improvement, learning, and collaboration across engineering (and wider) internally as well as externally
· Be a positive change agent across engineering and adjacent business units (Product, SRE, Support, etc.) for adoption of modern development practices and team collaboration in service of increased customer satisfaction
Who You Are - the essentials
· Several years of experience building, leading, and inspiring high-performing Engineering teams
· A track record of adapting delivery strategies and architectures to increase deployment tempo, reduce cycle times and improve product quality metrics within a SaaS platform
· Strong departmental planning, budgeting, and recruiting experience
· Experience with Agile development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc.)
· Familiarity with modern DevOps and release management practices
· Ability to inspire and foster an environment of collaborative, creative problem solving
· Excellent interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence
Who You Are - the desirables
It’s a plus if you have:
· Experience in Healthcare / Public Safety sectors
· Experience with Azure / AWS
Benefits & Perks
ESO offers a comprehensive suite of benefits to promote health and financial security for our employees and their families. For full-time employment you this includes:
- Competitive health plans (medical, dental, & vision insurance)
- PTO (starting at 20 days) & 12 company holidays
- 401(k) with company match
- Telemedicine service provided by ESO
- Savings accounts (FSA, HSA, DCA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Annual health and wellness reimbursement
- Peace of mind benefits such as life insurance, disability insurance, and worksite benefits
- Paid parental leave, new child program, & flexible parental return-to-work options
- Casual office environments and unlimited office snacks and drinks
ESO is a fast-paced, growing data, technology, and research company passionate about improving community health and safety through the power of data. We pioneer innovative, user-friendly software to meet the changing needs of today’s EMS agencies, fire departments, and hospitals. We’re small enough to be nimble and fun, but big enough to be a great place to work. We serve thousands of customers out of our offices across the US, Canada and Northern Ireland.
Are you ready to Make a Difference? At ESO, we believe in bringing your true self to work every single day. If you don’t match all the qualifications on the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway! We are looking for passionate, innovative, and authentic people to help drive our mission.
In the spirit of ESO’s mission to “Improve Community Health and Safety through the Power of Data,” and in accordance with ESO’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, ESO requires all United States (US) employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, regardless of if you work remotely or in office unless a reasonable medical or religious accommodation is requested in a timely manner and approved. This policy will help safeguard the health of our employees and customers, as well as the community at large.
All offers are contingent upon a successful background check and compliance with ESO’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
ESO is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We invite you to consider opportunities at ESO regardless of your gender; gender identity; gender reassignment; age; religion; race; national origin; political affiliation; sexual orientation; disability; veteran status; or other non-merit factor.
Read Full Job Description