Director Engineering Tools & Dev at Invitae (Austin, TX)
Location: San Francisco, CA or Remote
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
This role is with our new Ciitizen team. Ciitizen is a health technology platform that enables patients with cancer and rare neurologic disorders to collect, digitize, and share their health information. We are looking for a Director of Engineering - Tools role in a leadership role that will lead the Tools development within Engineering. Tools play an extremely meaningful role within the Ciitizen platform and are used by internal and external users. They are key components in the document and data processing pipelines. The quality and performance of the tools directly impacts Ciitizen’s customer SLAs and hence the revenues. This role will report into CTO/VP of Engineering and will be responsible for the team, engineering planning, execution, quality and timely delivery of the tools.
This role collaborates with other product and engineering teams to deliver the tools. Collaboration may require understanding of product specification or use cases, APIs to integrate other parts of the platform, bring to bear resources from other teams etc.
Finally, the role will also be responsible to build and mentor the team, provide technical guidance in the areas of tools application development, design, architecture, and build a culture of quality and accountability.Role and Responsibilities
Director of Engineering - Tools will be responsible for :
- Build and lead engineering processes for full stack tools applications development, including technical design, planning and delivery.
- Build the vital quality practices like unit test coverage, test case coverage to ensure high quality of work
- Manage, grow and mentor a team of front end and full stack engineers and develop accountability within the team
- Establish clear goals in the form of OKRs aligned with the overall engineering and company goals and build career roadmaps for each team member.
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship to the team in the area of front end applications.
- Participate in weekly leadership meetings and present the development status via a dashboard.
- Perform sprint retrospectives to identify issues and improvements in the engineering processes
- Build and proactively review the development metrics like sprint burndown, open bugs, velocity, code reviews, etc. for individuals as well as across the team
- Work with Product Management to incorporate technical debt as a roadmap item using the same business value driven approach as new features or product areas.
- Build a relationship of trust and establish a collaborative process by defining the entry and exit criteria and hand off between the teams.
- Work with remote or outsourced partners to get turnkey projects done.
- Manage remote teams or contractors as a part of augmented engineering team
- Build a proficient team of dedicated and curious individuals who take ownership, accountability and pride in their work.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Design, Engineering, Computer Science, or related fields or equivalent experience in product leadership roles
- 15+ years of proven track record in building software products, and at least 5 years in leadership and engineering management roles
- Strong collaboration, and communication skills
- Proven experience with project planning, sprint planning, release planning and management
- Consistent track record of delivering products that have scaled and have delivered measurable business value
- Experience with mentoring engineering teams, demonstrating leadership skills and leading by example
- Experience using Feature Flags, A/B tests, and deep expertise with tools like JIRA
- Proven expertise with CI/CD is highly desirable (Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes)
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.