HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
We are seeking an individual to lead software engineering for our suite of Customer Experience and Partner Success tools as we drive to develop innovative micro applications, enabling our internal customers and delighting them along the way with unexpected capabilities. In this capacity, you will be responsible for leading, managing, mentoring, and evolving extremely talented software engineering teams to deliver game changing solutions.
If you are a true technologist at heart with the ability and business acumen to partner with business and product teams in a way that inspires them to challenge the status quo and provide an inspiring and compelling working environment that allows your engineering teams to push the digital boundaries; read on!
Your teams contribute by:
- Leveraging real-time event streams and models to understand customers’ needs before they do.
- Dockerize our apps and services for cloud deployment.
- Developing micro applications that will drive our business through real-time feedback loops.
- Developing a smart service layer that will allow for in-session personalization and programmatic responses based on user behavior and data.
Technologies we use:
Node.js, React.js, Backbone.js, Hadoop, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, AWS, Mesos, Docker, Linux, Jetty, Kafka, Java8, NoSQL
- Manage applications & software engineering to deliver technology solutions in support of business strategy and growth.
- Manage a broad portfolio of technology projects to provide web, micro application, services, and integration solutions.
- Recruit, motivate, mentor and lead the application engineering talent.
- Lead with technical expertise in the development of systems and solutions.
- Evolve an agile delivery model.
- Collaborate with product owners and business stakeholders to identify and define the next opportunities and drive a game changing strategy, driven by technology, to deliver those capabilities.
- Effectively manages third party vendors and suppliers.
- Understanding of technical architectures, capacity plans, tools requirements, automation plans, and product implementation plans and other deliverables.
- Research new tools and technologies for use within the team.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science or related area preferred.
- 10 years’ experience in software development and engineering.
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience leading and guiding teams, including developing and implementing processes.
- Experience architecting, building and delivering technology solutions.
- Experience working with Agile methodologies a must
- Demonstrated success in being a change agent, with a vision to transform internal systems and operations as needed to fully support our internal business users.
- Strong executive presence and leadership resulting in the ability to forge cross-functional partnerships and drive strong, organization results.
- Ability to plan and manage concurrent tasks, assignments, projects, and deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and creatively, learn quickly, and solve complex problems in high-pressure situations.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in both verbal and written formats.
- Strong organizational, administrative and documentation skills.
- Experienced leader that can manage dynamic teams/portfolios, solve problems and empower employees to achieve success in a fast-paced organization.
- Sales and Customer Support experience is a plus.
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
“We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.”