Director of Engineering
GoDaddy powers the world's largest cloud platform dedicated to small, independent ventures. With 19 million customers worldwide, GoDaddy is the place people come to name their idea, build a professional website, attract customers and manage their work. Our mission is to empower entrepreneurs everywhere, making opportunity more inclusive for all. To learn more about the company visit www.GoDaddy.com.
We have an immediate opening for a seasoned leader to run a growing team of 30-40 software engineers in a vibrant, thriving office in Austin, Texas dedicated to building world-class systems that enable small business owners to be seen, look great, and connect with their customers online. Our “Do-It-For-You” suite of tools allow GoDaddy professionals to create and manage fully-custom websites, digital marketing presence, email marketing campaigns, and more, so owners can focus on what they know best - selling their products and services.
Director, Software Development
GoDaddy powers the world's largest cloud platform dedicated to small, independent ventures. With nearly 18.5 million customers worldwide and over 77 million domain names under management, GoDaddy is the place people come to name their idea, build a professional website, attract customers and manage their work. Our mission is to give our customers the tools, insights and the people to transform their ideas and personal initiative into success. To learn more about the company visit www.GoDaddy.com .
GoDaddy empowers small business owners to grow their business online with a suite of tools for both the Do-It-Yourself (DIY) customer and the customer who needs professionals to Do-It-For-You (DIFY).
We have an immediate opening for a seasoned leader to run a growing team of 30-40 software engineers in a vibrant, thriving office in Austin, Texas dedicated to building world-class systems that enable small business owners to be seen, look great, and connect with their customers online. Our “Do-It-For-You” suite of tools allow GoDaddy professionals to create and manage fully-custom websites, digital marketing presence, email marketing campaigns, and more, so owners can focus on what they know best - developing and selling their products and services.
This Director will lead an outstanding team of full-stack software engineers to redefine the future of GoDaddy’s digital presence business by delivering a “Do-it-for-you” platform to support a wide range of services, from building websites, to delivering professional photo shoots, to maintaining social presence, and much more. Your team will combine robust system design with engaging and elegant UX to create services that allow our Services professionals to efficiently deliver results for our customers in the only way that matters: growing their small businesses.
We work in an agile environment with full CI/CD support, and developers release multiple times per day to production.
- Lead a team of 30-40 software engineers, directly managing several Engineering Managers each of whom directs a number of scrum teams
- Lead hiring efforts and grow the team, you will help grow the careers of each person on the team by setting expectations for each stage in an engineer’s career
- Create and maintain a healthy, happy environment where engineers can do their best work
- Create the right connections across all of GoDaddy, provide scope and context to connect the Austin work to the broader company
- Work with the Tech Leads and Managers across your team, the rest of the division, and the company to make great tech bets, create and execute against a coherent engineering roadmap, support internal and external open-source efforts
- Support each individual’s growth through mentoring, training, hackathons
- Perform architecture and design reviews
- Partner with your Product Management counterparts to understand requirements, make cost/time trade-offs, groom the backlog, make resource tradeoffs
- Turn ideas into engineering systems through a strong understanding of at-scale services
- Make great short- vs. long-term trade-offs
- Always have relentless focus on the Customer
- Champion data-driven decision making through instrumentation, feedback loops, analytics, and machine learning
- Create an environment of excellence at agile software execution through continuous improvement of the team’s rhythm, process, tools
- Demand and deliver excellence in performance, reliability, quality, speed of delivery, customer feedback
Computer Science bachelor's degree, relevant technical degree or equivalent experience
Strong understanding of modern web applications, services and technologies
Solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, and software design
Solid architecture skills
Strong communication skills and ability to manage multiple business priorities while still delivering high quality results
Experience working in an Agile environment preferred
10+ years professional software engineering experience
Passion to develop elegant and cutting-edge solutions for real-world small business problems
What We Use
Java, other JVM languages
GoDaddy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, medical condition, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law. GoDaddy will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with local and federal requirements.
If you need assistance completing an application for a position with us, please reach out to our Recruiting Team at [email protected]
Please note that GODADDY does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies.
To submit your application to this position, please click Apply . On the next screen, after you click Apply, click Create to establish your candidate account. If you have previously created a candidate account, please slick Sign-In and use that account to complete your application.