Director of Engineering at Volusion
COVID 19 UPDATE:
We have leaned into the current health crisis with the development of new features like Volusion Curbside. Since March, we have hired more than a dozen new Volusioneers with no signs of slowing down. We are actively interviewing for key roles in order to keep up with our product roadmap goals. During these unprecedented times Volusion continues to provide stability and growth opportunities to our employees and merchants alike.
We are doing our part to flatten the curve so for the time being all interviews will be conducted virtually. As a company ALL employees are currently working remotely.
Volusion powers thousands of ecommerce sites - from fledgling entrepreneurs like local artists selling handmade goods to mid market businesses processing millions of dollars in online sales every year. If you're a creative professional that has a passion for driving change and you want to better the world with your ideas, we want to hear from you!
We are looking for a Director of Engineering to lead engineering efforts related to our best-of-breed eCommerce platform. This position will report directly to our Chief Technology Officer and have responsibility for a significant portion of the Volusion engineering team.
- Hire: You will be expected to be a leader in locating, vetting, interviewing, and hiring new engineers and managers within the engineering team. Your ability to say “No” is as important as your ability to identify and bring in great candidates.
- Plan and Execute: The Volusion platform is always evolving to meet product features, market trends, and industry best practices. You will be expected to effectively manage multiple priorities, consistently deliver business value, and keep engineering teams focused and moving forward.
- Collect and Analyze Data: You will be responsible for identifying data and business intelligence and turning those into KPIs, reporting against those KPIs, and making all significant decisions based on empirical data (as well as experience and judgement).
- Prioritize Pragmaticism over Perfection: The Volusion platform is entirely focused on supporting our customer base. We favor practical solutions over unnecessary abstraction layers, reusing open source and commercial offerings over a “build everything internally” attitude, and solving for the now (without writing hacky code).
- Take Ownership: You will have significant responsibilities, goals, and objectives. While feedback and assistance is always available, you will need to solve the problems that you encounter, provide and enact proposals for upcoming or ongoing issues, and enjoy driving to completion on in-progress initiatives.
- Be transparent: You will regularly meet with the CTO and senior leadership and be candid, about successes, struggles, and failures with regard to business objectives and your team of people. You also must be willing to ask for help.
- Accountability for multiple business objectives and mapping those to technical priorities
- Weekly KPI and data-driven reporting to CTO and senior leadership
- Decomposing company-level goals into achievable short-term engineering initiatives (often in parallel)
- Architecting and improving the Volusion platform to meet evolving performance, SEO, integration, and technology requirements
- Constantly evolving and improving the Volusion platform technologically without slowing the addition of product features
- Creating a true DevOps culture where engineers work across disciplines, especially cloud, infrastructure, testing, and security
- Working side-by-side with engineers; you should not be at your desk more than 35% of your time, but instead are meeting and leading discussions, sitting with engineers, whiteboarding solutions, and interacting with department leaders across Volusion
- Growing engineers into senior engineers, technical leads, engineering managers, and directors through mentoring, 1:1s, feedback, goal-setting, and honest evaluation
- Managing budgets, including head count (FTE and contract), software, training, and tools
- Negotiating developer and vendor contracts
We are looking for someone with:
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Software, or other Engineering discipline
- 10+ years experience in the tech industry, with significant portions of that time in an eCommerce or related space (payments processing, identity management, etc.)
- 5+ years experience managing engineers, ideally with some of that time managing multiple teams
- 3+ years running all or part of an engineering department in a startup
- 3+ years architecting PaaS or SaaS solutions, with deep and proven technical decision-making abilities
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
Volusion’s Technology Stack:
- React (including React hooks), React with Redux, Relay, and server-side and client-side rendering
- Public-facing REST APIs backed by TypeScript and Node.js
- SQL and no-SQL Databases; specific experience with PostgreSQL and MongoDB is a plus
- Google Cloud Platform including Kubernetes, Firebase, and managed database services
- Search and caching using Elasticsearch, RediSearch, Algolia, and Redis
Who is also the embodiment of our culture code (we hope you are nodding your head in agreement as you browse through it!):
- Humble: Have humility and be respectful; no egos allowed.
- Effective: Get stuff done!
- Adaptable: Willing to fill any role, anytime. Going above/beyond the call of duty.
- Transparent: Open and honest to self and others.
- Collaborative: We favor teamwork and take ownership.
- A founder: Think big, go fast, and solve for the customer.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive compensation packages
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Voluntary Life Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- 401(k) with Company Matching
- On-site Fitness and Yoga Classes
- Casual Dress
- Breakfast taco and beer Fridays
- Endless Supply of Tiny House Nitro Coffee, sparkling water, fruit and snacks
- Two Volunteer Days Off
- Bring Your Dog to Work Days
- Adjustable desks
- Chair Massages
- Team Sports and Team Outing