The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $119B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
The Developer Education team is a hands-on and enthusiastic group of engineers who are passionate about teaching developers how to work with data and build applications. We are hiring an Education Engineer to help us create world-class educational content for MongoDB's developer-focused products -- in particular, MongoDB Realm.
Our team works closely with MongoDB's documentation, engineering, and product organizations to deliver outstanding developer learning experiences for everyone, whether they're a novice or an experienced engineer. Every month, hundreds of thousands of developers turn to our content to help them build mobile and web applications, embedded IoT systems, and other projects that are used by millions of people worldwide.You’re a great fit for this role if
- You have developed and shipped modern mobile or web applications at the senior level OR you have significantly contributed to complex documentation sites at the senior level
- You have an interest in both software development and documentation
- You have seen the value of great developer documentation and educational material firsthand and are excited about the idea of empowering other developers by creating it
- You enjoy deep investigation of new technical concepts and are eager to teach others what you’ve learned
- Learning and growth are important to you, so you like to give and receive feedback
- You have a sense of what makes a great developer experience. You can empathize with developers of different skill levels and backgrounds to predict what they might find challenging
- You feel that you are aligned with the core values that drive our work
- Develop sample apps & code examples. Developers love approachable and functional code examples that show off product features and address specific, real use cases. We create and maintain example code that gives developers confidence and helps them kickstart their projects
- Write documentation for MongoDB Realm. MongoDB Realm has SDKs for many platforms, languages, and frameworks - Swift, React Native, Kotlin, C#/Xamarin to name a few. We create detailed API references and how-to guides for each SDK and stay up-to-date with the latest platform and language features
- Develop tools that help us create and maintain docs content. We’re responsible for a large and growing collection of content. Nobody likes missing or incorrect documentation, so we build and maintain tools that help us to ensure our code examples and other content stay correct and up-to-date as the product evolves
- Talk to developers. We connect with other developers and engineers to find out what they’re building, what they love, and what challenges they face. This could be anything from informally answering questions in Slack and our community forums to preparing and delivering talks at developer conferences
- Within three months, you’ll be comfortable with our tools and writing style and be able to apply them when authoring new content for MongoDB Realm and Drivers. You’ll also have completed our company’s required technical training for Engineers
- Within six months, you’ll have gained enough product expertise to propose and deliver new projects while building relationships with the teams that we work with. You’ll also be applying our writing style guide and coding best practices in both your own work and reviews of your teammates’ work
- Within twelve months, you’ll have taken ownership of a subject area and be able to manage the estimation and delivery of related work. By this time, you’ll have performed a full annual cycle of performance and growth conversations with your manager
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.