Engineering Manager, Compass (Ecosystems) at Atlassian (Remote)
Compass is looking for a new engineering manager to join our team! We're building a new product that will be the mission control for engineering teams. This is a really exciting opportunity to have a huge impact on one of the big bets coming out of Atlassian's Point A program (New Product Framework). This role is leading our Compass Ecosystem team which is responsible for integrating Atlassian's new Forge plugin platform into Compass, as well as working with partners to build integrations and creating an awesome developer experience for partners and customers to extend Compass.
This is an opportunity to:
- Drive the direction of a strategically important new product for Atlassian
- Work on strategically important projects that contribute directly to our company's and organizations goals.
- Build and lead a team of software engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, and hands-on career development
- Talk with customers and the top SaaS companies in the space to build strong relationships.
What you'll do:
- You'll work with other teams in Compass and teams across Atlassian to build, support, and operate features.
- You'll participate in multiple concurrent high-visibility projects and support occasional ad hoc needs from your internal stakeholders
- You will help drive the major programs of work throughout your immediate team and the entire DevOps organization.
- You'll bring order and focus while leaving room for flexibility and innovation. You'll promote infectious urgency around you, you'll be a mentor, multiplier, influencer, negotiator, and awesome communicator rolled into one.
- You'll talk to customers, both internally in Atlassian, and externally, to understand their needs, get feedback about the product, and develop solutions to complex problems.
More about You
- You value high-quality work with attention to detail and have a track record of delivering both. You combine curiosity, judgment, and drive, and like asking "why" to unravel a seemingly complex problem and get to the root cause. You engender a collaborative environment where teams work together to solve problems with a positive outlook.
- When you encounter a problem you come up with multiple solutions, weigh the tradeoffs and efforts, identify the best path forward, and exercise good judgment to drive ahead. You have experience in change management and turning information and questions into action. You're comfortable interacting with people across all levels of an organization and can field questions during a presentation like a pro.
- You can quickly learn and be impactful in new areas to keep pace with our rapid growth and evolution. You can take an ambiguous assignment and deliver value quickly. You employ multiple tools, methods, and techniques to get things done.
- You enjoy leading people, but have the urge to get your hands back into the system design and/or front-end development from time to time.
To be successful in this role, we'd expect you to have:
- We're expecting you to bring several (3+) years of hands-on experience as a software engineer/technologies with a rock-solid understanding systems design, micro-services, and working in SaaS environment
- 3+ years in engineering management following Agile development processes
- Excellent communication skills and ability to collaborate with stakeholders and various teams across different geo-locations.
- Experience breaking down high-level requirements into deliverable features and understanding the edge-cases
- Understanding of large-scale systems design and ability to predict performance and scale challenges
- Experience working on projects and features that spawn multiple micro-services
- Employee performance & growth management
And if you've got some of this, even better!
- Experience doing partnership and ecosystem work, managing relationships with other companies to build new product experiences.
- Passion for developing great developer experiences.
- Experience working with public cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud.
- Experience working in front-end or full-stack dev teams building large scale web software
- Experience working in the Identity domain, such as building features related to privacy, compliance, security, authentication, authorization, and user account management
More about Compass
Compass is a new product that aims to solve the complexities of developing and operating distributed systems. We are one of the big bets coming out of the new Point A initiative, Atlassian's incubator for bold new product bets. The team is just getting started, and we are in a really unique position to go after an emerging sector of DevOps with a very large TAM.
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who's who of tech is why we're here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned-collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we're looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we're committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team .
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified and you think you can rock the role, we'd love to learn more about you.
Learn more about Atlassian's culture, interviewing flow, and hiring process by checking out our Candidate Resource Hub .