Engineering Manager at Self Financial
At Self Financial Inc, our mission is to help millions of people establish and build credit - especially those who are considered underserved or credit invisible. This is a rare chance to join a successful, venture backed startup based in Austin.
Developing a successful fintech company requires deep collaboration across our teams, dedication, and truly disrupting the way the industry thinks about things. Our team is passionate about empowering people to take control of their credit and challenging the status quo of accessing and building credit. Understanding our consumers is core to our growth in the years to come.
How we act with each other is how we act with our customers. We are direct, transparent and respectful, and we hope you embrace that approach.
As an Engineering Manager, you'll be empowered to shape how we grow our engineering team, work across departments, and scale the company from 50 to 100 in the next 12 months. Your strong background in technology and dedication to people will be the foundation that we grow on.
Some reasons why you might want to work with us:
- You want to work in a secure financial environment and build our engineering culture and brand
- You like the idea of helping people start (or restart) their financial journey
- You want to shape the hiring practices and culture of a rapidly growing startup
- You enjoy growing engineering organizations
- You're a talent magnet
- You're still great with technology
- You prefer a fast-paced environment, but care deeply about quality results
What you'll be doing:
- Recruit and build a diverse team so that we can keep doing more to help our customers
- Be the example of dedication and passion for your team members
- Build relationships with engineers and across the company
- Improve our processes and procedures
- Contribute to our code base as an individual contributor (we believe that managers should stay up to date with technology)
- Coach engineers to progress in their careers
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive environment
You don't need everything below, but we want you to have some experience in these areas with the motivation to keep learning.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 2+ years in an Engineering Manager role
- 2+ years in a Senior Software Engineer role
- Strong local network of engineering talent
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with agile engineering methodologies
- Experience working across departments to get things done