Engineering Manager at Invitae
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
The mission for the Pipeline Platform team is to create an opinionated platform that all bioinformatics teams use to build their pipelines. We provide the runtime environment, infrastructure, and tools to support Invitae’s bioinformatics teams in the creation of new genetic tests. We address horizontal requirements like monitoring, alerting, security, and scalability at the platform level, which allows the bioinformatics teams to focus on delivering new tests to our customers quickly.
The genetic testing space is moving and expanding quickly. In support of the Invitae mission, our pipelines need to be reliable, scalable, and easy to build. We are looking for an engineering leader who can guide us through this transformation. Your experience, passion, and leadership skills will lay the foundation for Invitae’s continued success.
What you'll do:
- Build and deliver the Pipeline Platform’s vision and roadmap by combining your deep technical expertise, strategic thinking, and leadership.
- Communicate and evangelize the value of the pipeline platform to engineering teams and business stakeholders.
- Understand stakeholder requirements and translate those into best-in-class developer experiences.
- Work across all disciplines and stakeholders to move Pipeline Platform initiatives forward and ensure internal adoption.
- Recruit, hire, and build a high-performing engineering team.
- Create a team environment where engineers are empowered to grow in their skills and responsibilities while delivering their best work.
- Analyze data from multiple sources and help the team make the right trade-offs between capability, cost, engineering complexity, and other factors.
- Define, track, and report on key metrics related to the Pipeline Platform.
- Work with the Pipeline Platform Engineering team to build features that increase engineering efficiency and improve the reliability and scalability of the Pipeline Platform.
- Maintain the team’s focus on the shared vision
What you bring:
- Demonstrated ability to lead internal platform initiatives from inception to production with internal and external customers.
- A passion for taking bold risks and delivering transformative technologies to existing business practices.
- Ability to communicate how engineering system design relates to company outcomes.
- Experience balancing operations, maintenance, and new projects in a pragmatic way.
- Deep technical knowledge around web application architectures, APIs, and developer tools.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and reconcile misalignment across engineering teams, product teams, and business stakeholders.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex data and information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences, including executives and technical/non-technical leaders.
- Prior experience with bioinformatics.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.