Coder is looking to add an Engineering Manager to its growing Engineering team, reporting directly to the VP of Engineering. This job is a little unusual in that there's no defined product scope yet. You will be part of determining the scope, team structure, and product sub-domain that you will be responsible for. Coder currently has one manager (the VP of Engineering) and one product manager.
You have a strong sense of responsibility but with clear boundaries. You do well and motivate your team to do well, and you also take care of yourself and them. You're the type of manager who makes sure people on your team work well when they're working and also have ample time to not work or even think about work.
You're someone who is interested in growing themselves, their team, and a company. You like to understand people and projects deeply. You make pragmatic decisions that balance the need to deliver soon with the need to build high quality, sustainable systems. You're comfortable with working at a company that has almost-but-not-quite achieved product market fit and are excited about helping get us there.
Your core responsibilities as an Engineering Manager are:
- nurturing the growth of your team of 4-6 engineers
- collaborating with product managers to scope, triage, and plan work
- recruiting skilled software engineers to join Coder
- steadily iterating on the development process to increase team effectiveness
- thoughtfully assess and communicate performance feedback
- strengthen and expand an inclusive, positive, and humble culture
- motivate, inspire, and model high standards of performance
- and a whole host of other things that come from being a leader in a startup
- At least two years of experience as an engineering manager
- At least six years of total experience as either a software engineer or engineering manager
- The ability and interest to go deep into the technology, including writing code (during onboarding and to drink our own champagne), reviewing code, and collaborating on design and architecture
- Leadership and influence in people, process, and product
- Clear, candid, considerate communication skills both in writing and in speech
- Humility, a strong sense of integrity, and a growth mindset
We especially want to talk to you if you have
- Built software infrastructure (especially cloud) or developer tools
- Worked on enterprise and/or SaaS software
- Experience with agile methods, especially retrospectives
- Established or substantially improved a team's process
- Worked on an open source project
Coder is building the future of software engineering. Almost every software application has moved to the cloud to take advantage of more resources, faster updates, and portability across devices, but the tools we use to build those applications are still stuck in the boxes under your desk or on your lap. Coder aims to change all that.
With Coder, you can use the same development workspace from a desktop, laptop, tablet, or mobile phone. You have consistent and predictable environments, so there’s no more “it works on my machine” because it works on every machine. You can take advantage of powerful cloud servers, so you no longer have to choose between a powerful but immobile desktop or a portable but less capable laptop. You spend less time waiting and tearing your hair out and more time writing and shipping your software.
Coder has raised major backing from high-quality investors. We have amazing interest from prospective customers. The product we’re building has the potential to be used by everyone doing software development all around the world.
We are looking for excellent builders who are excited about the startup experience, passionate about productivity and flow, and eager to take on new challenges and grow with few limits. We want to build a product and a company to last. Part of our culture is a warm, friendly, and supportive environment.
Coder is headquartered in sunny and lively Austin, Texas, but we work from anywhere in the United States and Canada. We provide superb benefits so that you can stay in flow with your focus on your work without worries.
We believe that the interview process should be consistent and enjoyable. We prefer to have the entire process take no more than 2 full weeks. During these 2 weeks you will be able to meet a mix of individual contributors, managers, and one of our Co-Founders. If you interview for a position that requires a take home assessment, we will compensate you for your work and time spent.
We are an Equal Opportunity EmployerAll qualified applicants will receive consideration without discrimination because of sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, race, color, age, national origin, military status, religion, or disability or any other legally protected status.
Read Full Job Description