Environment, Health, and Safety Engineer (EHS) at CesiumAstro
Please Note: Due to the nature of our work with the U.S. Government, US citizenship or permanent residency is required for this position.
CesiumAstro is a rapidly growing space technology startup in Austin, Texas, developing out-of-the-box communication systems for satellites, UAVs, launch vehicles, and other space and airborne platforms. Our approach is unique, and our team is changing the world of space communications. Learn more about our company at http://www.cesiumastro.com.
We are looking to add an Environmental Health and Safety Engineer to our team. If you are excited about working in a startup environment, have a strong work ethic, and are passionate about workplace safety, we would like to hear from you.
In this position, you will work closely with Cesium executives and engineers to develop safety guidelines, standard operating procedures, training matrices, documentation plans, and audit schedules for a variety of safety fields. You will also provide health and safety perspective on all electrical modifications, test setups, mechanical, electrical, and chemical equipment purchases.
All candidates must be detail-oriented with respect to electrical, fire, chemical, mechanical, noise, ESD, and suspended load safety. The ideal candidate will exhibit a deep understanding of relevant safety standards, compliance requirements, relevant training, safety documentation, lockout/tagout, signage, PPE, environmental waste management, and import/export of hazardous material. Any experience with health planning and COVID-19 guidelines will be also be valuable.
CesiumAstro is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We provide a generous benefits and stock option package to all our employees.
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Evaluate and address immediate safety concerns
- Develop safety guidelines handbook with feedback from engineers on all relevant and probable hazards including:
- Chemical, electrical, fire, noise, respiratory, fall, suspended load/lift, ergonomics, exhaust
- Machine guarding, PPE, LOTO, noise isolation, contractor/visitor safety and requirements
- Hazardous Material Storage and Waste Management
- Give direction for chemical storage, metal shavings disposal, oil spill
- Electronics Product Safety
- Implement and improve policies regarding ESD control; moisture control; storage, handling, packaging, and transportation requirements
- Work with materials, process, and manufacturing engineers to develop product risk analysis.
- Educate Cesium staff members on basic principles of key safety standards and provide guidance in specialized cases.
- EHS Program Management
- Track all subsequent safety documentation, including standard operating procedures, inspection, and maintenance procedures.
- OP, policies, regulatory compliance, safety documentation for audits, employee training tracking, JSA and risk assessment, signage
- Develop and execute a plan of action to meet compliance requirements for:
- 29 CFR 1910
- 29 CFR 1926
- NFPA 1 (and other benchmarks)
- ISO 14001
- BS OHSAS 18001/18002
- ANSI S20.20/ IEC 61340-5-1
- Other relevant safety standards
Successful candidates will have, as a minimum:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental Health and Safety or an Engineering discipline (e.g. electrical, industrial, mechanical, chemical)
- Previous experience with a variety of EHS projects
- Ability to read and interpret schematics and component data sheets
- Ability to read and interpret various safety standards
- Strong organization skills and experience with safety documentation management
- Sense of urgency, with ability to work well under pressure
- Strong digital, written, and verbal communication skills
Preferred attributes include:
- Experience in the aerospace industry (avionics preferred)
To apply,please provide a resume and cover letter describing your education and experience in EHS engineering and interest in either space systems or communication systems.