Full Stack Software Engineer - Internal Tools
At Self (formerly Self Lender), our mission is to help millions of people establish and build credit - especially those who are considered underserved or credit invisible. This is a rare chance to join a successful, venture backed startup based in Austin.
Developing a successful fintech company requires deep collaboration across our teams, dedication, and truly disrupting the way the industry thinks about things. Our team is passionate about empowering people to take control of their credit and challenging the status quo of accessing and building credit. Understanding our consumers is core to our growth in the years to come.
How we act with each other is how we act with our customers. We are direct, transparent and respectful, and we hope you embrace that approach.
About our team:
We're a growing team of engineers working with modern technology to help people build credit and savings. We’ve rebuilt and launched our website as well as our mobile app in the last year, which now serves thousands of customers. We launched our second product, a secured credit card to give our customers access to their savings.
We're looking for a software engineer to join our team to work on improving our financial systems. You'll have the opportunity to take ownership and be the subject matter expert for building the tools our customer success and compliance team use to administer our products. You will be involved in making critical decisions on transitioning our internal tools from an older tech stack to a modern one.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a bachelor's degree in a STEM field.
- 2 or more years of software engineering experience.
- 2 or more years of experience working with modern front end frameworks such as React, Angular, Ember, Vue.js.
- Experience with development/maintenance of Python/Flask or PHP code in a production environment.
- Proficiency with SQL and relational databases such as PostgreSQL.
- Experience within the container orchestration space (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.).
- Experience with common software engineering tools such as Git (or other VCS), JIRA, Confluence and similar platforms.
- Ability to work in a unix-based operating system (Linux, MacOS).
- Prior experience in Fintech.
- Understanding of microservices architecture.
- Familiarity/experience in cloud technologies in AWS like EC2, RDS etc.
- Knowledge of web protocols such as DNS, HTTP, SSL
- Build efficient, scalable and reusable systems and abstractions.
- Identify and address performance bottlenecks.
- Participate in design and code reviews.
- Reach out to the open source community to encourage and help implement mission-critical software fixes.
- Maintain code and write tests to ensure the product is of the highest quality.
- Provide stakeholders with time and resource estimates related to product development.
- Make technical decisions and improvements around front end development.
- Ensure software is written with security in mind.
- Keep up-to-date with the best coding practices and tooling.