Kernel Tester at CrowdStrike
At CrowdStrike we’re on a mission - to stop breaches. Our groundbreaking technology, services delivery, and intelligence gathering together with our innovations in machine learning and behavioral-based detection, allow our customers to not only defend themselves, but do so in a future-proof manner. We’ve earned numerous honors and top rankings for our technology, organization and people – clearly confirming our industry leadership and our special culture driving it. We also offer flexible work arrangements to help our people manage their personal and professional lives in a way that works for them. So if you’re ready to work on unrivaled technology where your desire to be part of a collaborative team is met with a laser-focused mission to stop breaches and protect people globally, let’s talk.
About the Role
This is a specialized Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) position within the Strategic Research Initiatives (SRI) team, which works closely with the sensor engineering team to develop and release advanced product initiatives. As a key contributor to the team’s focus on quality and performance of the sensor kernel components, the ideal candidate will be proficient in low-level performance profiling of kernel drivers across supported platforms and technologies. This role will also require periodic driver development in C/C++, as well as test harness and framework improvements in Python.
Here are some typical quality-focused tasks that you will be heavily involved in:
- Analyze complex software features, and build effective test strategies and test design
- Build useful tools, frameworks, and test setup to use for developing tests effectively; the goal is to minimize manual testing and for the team to write automated tests for the product
- Identify and write specialized tests necessary that are not feature-specific but are still important to ensure the quality of the system as a whole – performance, scalability, limits etc.
- Debug bugs found through test or customer cases to identify root cause and use the input to improve tests
- Work collaboratively with product and release management to control risk, improve quality, and streamline our release cycles
- Rigorous product and test code reviews with an eye towards improving the security and robustness of the system as a whole
SDETs use their strong software development skills to build effective tools, harnesses, and specialized tests to assure that quality. SDETs also participate actively in design and code reviews, and collaborate with the cloud team to assure end-to-end system functionality.
The ideal SDET candidate must have demonstrated passion to find bugs -- i.e. they must like breaking software as much as writing code! They also must have demonstrated ability to write high-quality code in C or C++ and scripting languages like Python. Experience on Unix or Linux with code that has high reliability requirements; code that needs to pay attention to low-level operating characteristics (memory usage, efficient performance, correct conformance to external standards) is also highly desired.
Though the following are not all required for this position at the outset, strong SDETs in the team eventually build the following skills:
- Deeper understanding of fundamental computer science concepts; experience in analysis and implementation of data structures, algorithms, and software design
- Ability to write and automate test cases, triage bugs, and write actionable bug reports
- Ability to read code with a focus on its robustness and security (or lack thereof)
- Ability to clearly define test strategies for features, and implement those strategies
- A track record of shipping quality software
The team provides strong mentoring and management support to develop these skills while working on their core deliverables. SDETs also have the opportunity, along with SDEs, to learn more about the tools, techniques, and procedures employed in attacks on our customers and to use this knowledge in challenging the entire team to constantly improve Falcon’s capabilities.
Benefits of Working at CrowdStrike:
- Market leader in compensation and equity awards
- Competitive vacation policy
- Comprehensive health benefits + 401k plan
- Paid parental leave, including adoption
- Flexible work environment
- Wellness programs
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats
We are committed to building an inclusive culture of belonging that not only embraces the diversity of our people but also reflects the diversity of the communities in which we work and the customers we serve. We know that the happiest and highest performing teams include people with diverse perspectives and ways of solving problems so we strive to attract and retain talent from all backgrounds and create workplaces where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work.
CrowdStrike is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.