Kibana - Sr. Director Software Engineering at Elastic
Kibana's role has steadily grown from a query and visualization UI for Elasticsearch, into a platform on which Elastic builds integrated solutions for Security, Observability, and variety of use cases from Machine Learning to Geospatial. Eventually, we want Kibana to become an ecosystem where partners and third parties can build their own applications on the Elastic stack.
We’re looking for a technology and engineering leader to continue the trajectory. Today Kibana is a distributed group of over 80 Elasticians covering a range of software development and related specialties including data visualization, security, design, architecture, automation, documentation and more. The leader of the Kibana team will make decisions critical to the evolution of a large, complex product and platform; manage time horizons of not just the next week or quarter, but multiple years and major releases; they will lead a large and growing team by providing coherent vision and making appropriate compromises along the way.
Kibana’s team leader will resonate with our value system and will bring a collaborative and humble attitude with a strong passion for excellence in engineering. They will make a large scale impact to the team and company.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Recruit, retain, develop, and mentor high performing leaders and engineers within the Kibana team.
- Work with Kibana’s leadership to organize effectively, scale and coordinate delivery.
- As a team and company we value excellence, speed, collaboration, respect, mentorship, and open feedback. You’ll encourage and promote these values.
- Collaborate closely with Kibana’s product and technical leadership, developing, prioritizing, communicating and delivering Kibana’s vision and roadmap.
- Work across teams at Elastic to ensure Kibana is meeting the needs of all of the teams that depend on it.
- Be the face of Kibana within Elastic. Advocate for the team, encourage processes and practices that help keep the entire team happy, healthy, and productive.
- Encourage strong engineering practices, maintainable software, and operations-friendly behavior of Kibana.
- Be actively engaged in / understand what teams are working on in Kibana and across Elastic. Use your understanding to guide decisions and guide people in their execution of the roadmap.
What You Bring Along:
- You’ve grown and led a large team of engineers and managers (at minimum 80 people)
- You’ve led on-prem software delivery with a maintenance cycle
- Strong written communications skills
- Strong performance management
- Ability to be adaptable and flexible
- Experience managing and allocating budget and resources.
Additional nice to haves:
- Technical leadership role with a Data Visualization, Business Intelligence, Systems Monitoring, Log Analysis, Search Engine, SIEM or APM product
- Running and delivering enterprise software solutions at scale
- Experience managing distributed & multinational teams
- Experience building open source products
- Experience with at least one of these cloud providers (GCP, AWS, Azure)