Lead Software Engineer, Platform
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
We are looking for a Lead Software Engineer in our Austin Office. This person will be building the future of technology at BigCommerce - one that hosts hundreds of thousands of merchants and powers billions of dollars of commerce every year. We build powerful tools and foundational technology that allow BigCommerce engineers to have a more productive, efficient, and happier experience developing software. We collaborate with teams to establish and implement procedures, standards, and architectures for ongoing development.
We’re focused on continually developing our service-oriented architecture, providing engineers with a world-class development environment and expanding the functionality around our service mesh, as well as building the core functionality that continues our platform growth from an infrastructure and engineering perspective. If building frameworks, libraries, and tools that help other engineers move faster and develop better software is your thing, this is the position for you.
Who You Are
- 7-10+ years experience in building systems using at least two different languages: Ruby, Scala, PHP, Python, Node, etc. We currently primarily use Ruby, PHP, and Scala.
- You’re not afraid to jump into new systems and languages you’re not necessarily a domain expert on
- You love to refactor, abstract, and design in legacy and greenfield systems
- You enjoy explaining complex technical topics in a way that others can understand
- You know how to build reliable and safe distributed systems and understand the tradeoffs made when engineering a feature in a service-oriented architecture
- You’re concerned with both the engineering, people, and communications challenges in scaling large software
- You understand building software isn’t just about writing code, but also about design, collaboration, and planning as well
- When things break, you’re the first to jump in and help fix them
- You’re not afraid of solving problems that haven’t been solved yet in the industry
- BS. or M.S. Computer Science or equivalent experience
What You’ll Do
- Help design/architect/execute the building of new services for the BigCommerce platform.
- Build highly-available, distributed systems
- Engineer libraries and tools that reduce the amount of work other teams have to do when launching new services
- Write code that is performant, fault-tolerant, maintainable, testable, and concise
- Work closely with Ops/infrastructure to improve our architecture and scalability
- Work on Ruby, Scala, Go, and PHP services and frameworks
- Write internal and external blogs on what our team builds, and speak at meetups
- Help drive adoption of new technology, tooling, and systems across Engineering
- Help decompose our core PHP application into services
- Continue the development of our dev tools, service mesh, gRPC, and API contract generation systems
Diversity & Inclusion at BigCommerce
We have the opportunity to build not only a great business, but a great company, with soul. Our beliefs and commitment to diversity and inclusion are a central part of achieving that.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion is grounded in two things: a moral belief in the dignity, value, and potential of every individual, and a practical belief that diverse, inclusive teams will create the best outcomes for our customers, partners, employees, and company. We welcome everyone to be a part of our journey.