Lead Software Engineer at Self Financial (Austin, TX or Remote)
About the job
Self Financial is a venture-backed, high-growth FinTech company with a mission to increase economic inclusion and financial resilience by empowering people to build credit and build savings.
We're looking for people who share our passion and are driven to tackle challenges, find solutions and make the financial space better for the communities we serve.
Our team is passionate about challenging the status quo of the credit industry by providing people with accessible tools to take control of their credit. Executing our mission requires deep collaboration across our teams to ensure our products reach the people who can benefit from them the most, particularly the 100 million+ Americans who have no or low credit.
About the Role:
As a lead software engineer, you’ll be the technical lead for your team and work closely with your product manager to architect and develop new products to help our customers build credit and save money. You will be providing technical leadership to your teammates through coaching and mentorship. You will architect and implement a user experience for our users. You will work with designers, product managers, and other team members in brainstorming new ideas, developing features, gathering feedback, and iterating, thereby providing impactful improvement to our products. You will report to an engineering manager and work with our amazing team of professional engineers.
- 6+ years of software engineering experience.
- Willingness to embrace the responsibilities of team leadership and accountability for team results.
- Experience designing and implementing green-field projects and initiatives.
- Experience with the design and development of consumer-facing web applications.
- Familiarity working with front-end technologies like React.
- Experience building and consuming APIs to work with other services using REST.
- Proficiency with SQL and relational databases such as PostgreSQL.
- Familiarity with AWS and cloud architectures/services.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline.
- Experience with common software engineering tools such as Git, JIRA, Confluence, and similar platforms.
- Guide team development efforts towards successful project delivery.
- Assist in the collection and documentation of user’s requirements, development of user stories, estimates, and work plans.
- Provide technical leadership to teammates through mentorship.
- Maintain high standards of software quality by establishing good practices and habits.
Benefits and Perks:
We have the compensation and benefits you expect. But, there's one thing that Self Financial can offer that many startups cannot: we can positively change the world while making a profit. We are a team of Builders, empowering our customers to build their dreams. We have a Do the Right Thing ethos in all that we do, and we hope you value that approach, too.
Our perks include:
- Stock options
- Quarterly performance-based bonuses
- Generous employer-paid health, vision, and dental insurance coverage
- Flexible vacation policy
- Educational assistance
- Free gym membership
- Free at-home workout through Sworkit
- Casual dress code
- Team building events and activities
- Remote work arrangements/ flexible work schedule
Self Financial requires all employees hired to successfully pass a background check.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.