We are looking for a Manager to lead and grow a newly formed Vivox engineering team in Austin. Vivox, a division of Unity Technologies, delivers the best voice and text chat experience for video games and has been implemented in all types of games, on all major platforms. We provide and operate the communication technology for some of the world’s largest games including Fortnite, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, and Rainbow Six Siege.
As a Manager you will be responsible for a cross functional team of server engineers that will be driving the next generation of communication features for the Vivox platform. This team will be based in the fast growing Unity Austin offices which houses teams from many divisions of Unity.
We believe in empowered engineers and servant managers, and so do you. You will drive engineering excellence and smart technical decisions by taking the best ideas available to you from the team or elsewhere. You will mentor and support career growth, while also developing new leaders as the team grows. You will partner closely with other Engineering teams and our Product team to understand the goals for the systems the team builds, and suggest smart compromises when managing scope. You will ensure we deliver on our commitments on time while maintaining a high level of quality.
- Manage a team of engineers, setting both technical direction and guiding career development
- Capture and create best practices, and be an advocate for those within and across teams
- Collaborate with Product Management and other cross-functional teams to balance priorities with schedules
- Collaborate with other engineers to ensure our products are fully tested providing scale and resiliency while and working as specified
- Troubleshoot issues across the entire technology stack: client to network to service
- Ability to share knowledge with others well, both verbally and in writing, as well as engage in technical discussions with clients and peers
- Proven professional experience both hands on as an individual contributor and leading teams
- Computer Science degree or equivalent relevant experience
- Strong understanding of server development, threading/concurrency, media (audio) processing, high performance I/O including networking, unit testing, and modern architectural design
- Experience in handling both legacy code and greenfield development and can make technical recommendations based on the needs of the project
- Comfortable with Linux as a development and operating environment
- Distributed systems, Network protocols
- Game engine experience
- Performance profiling, e.g.Trace, VTune/Valgrind
- Experience with languages such as C++, C#, Golang, Python/Twisted, Erlang
About Unity Technologies
Unity is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
The company’s 1,400+ person research and development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Apps developed by Unity creators were downloaded more than three billion times per month in 2019 on more than two billion unique devices. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.