At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
An engineering role at Cloudflare provides an opportunity to address some big challenges, at scale. We believe that with our talented team, we can tackle some of the biggest security, reliability and performance problems facing the Internet.
We are searching for Linux engineers to make our flavour of Linux fast, resilient and reliable across the many use cases that a distribution saving the Internet requires.
Our Engineers come from a variety of technical backgrounds and work across a broad range of environments and codebases. Common qualities across all of our performance-focused engineers include a passion for analysis, optimization, scaling, networking, cross-team collaboration and hard problem solving.
What you would be doing
- Keep Cloudflare Linux platforms secure and up-to-date
- Help with quick and safe deployment and delivery of the Linux kernel and basic operating system to Cloudflare Datacentres in more than 250 cities in over 100 countries
- Continuously monitor and resolve kernel bugs and performance regressions
- Design tools and frameworks for other engineering teams to successfully embrace and enable the latest Linux kernel features and optimizations
- Help porting the Cloudflare software stack to new hardware platforms and architectures
- Research and adopt the latest Linux kernel security features and performance improvements
- Build tools and CI/CD pipelines for safe and automated operating system continuous deployment
- Experience with the Linux kernel and Linux software packaging
- CS fundamentals and comfortable working in multiple programming languages and codebases
- Containerization technologies (e.g Docker, containerd, gVisor)
- Configuration management (e.g Saltstack, Chef) and CI/CD pipelines
- Version control systems (git)
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Performance analysis and debugging
- Load balancing and reverse proxies such as Nginx, Varnish, HAProxy or Apache
- Time series databases such as OpenTSDB, Graphite, Prometheus or Grafana
- Key/Value stores
- Network fundamentals DHCP, ARP, subnetting, routing, firewalls, IPv6, BGP
- Experience in a DevOps team structure
- Experience with programming in C, C++ or Go
- Experience with rapid release engineering
- Upstream community contribution
- Strong tooling and automation development experience
- Experience working in a 24/7/365 service environment
- High-bandwidth transit Internetworking and routing experience
Some tools that we use
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
220.127.116.11: We released 18.104.22.168 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.