Manager, Engineering (Billing Team) at BigCommerce
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
We are looking for a Manager of Software Engineering who is a strong leader with equally impressive people and technical skills. This is a person who thrives on building high performing Software Engineering teams and is passionate about empowering engineers to achieve the best work of their careers. Well respected by technical and non-technical individuals, this person is an influential leader, coach, manager and engineer. This leader will need to balance driving our aggressive product roadmap, improving the performance and stability of our system, introducing engineering best practices into the organization, and leading and mentoring other engineers.
What you’ll do
- Build an open, positive and energized culture.
- Build, lead and hire a high-caliber team of software engineers.
- Drive our technical roadmap and direction of our stack.
- Lead and inspire your team and other engineers to build the best ecommerce platform on the planet.
- Encourage innovation and foster an environment of continuous improvement.
- Ensure that technical decisions support our goals of quality, performance, scalability, reliability, availability and security.
- Be both a highly technical hands-on coder and an effective people manager
- Hold your own in technical discussion, be a subject matter expert and have strategic influence
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers and stakeholders in all corporate offices to promote communication and coordination
- Establish team objectives in alignment with business goals
- Organize and facilitate regular 1:1s with your team for coaching and mentoring
- Make recommendations to the Senior Manager with regards to team performance
- Develop and execute performance improvement plans for under-performers
- Develop and enforce best practices to improve engineering quality and efficiency
- Establish a sense of urgency and direction; set expectations
- Create and participate in an on-call rotation for incident management
Who you are
- 5+ years experience in building systems in Ruby or similar multi-paradigm programming languages
- 2+ years in driving and retaining a high performance team.
- Experience with relational database systems and external services integrations
- Experience with backend and/or frontend (UI) development
- Experience working in Agile development teams
- Familiar with OOP design patterns and principles
- Experience building or managing distributed and/or SOA architectures
- Experience with SaaS platforms is highly desirable
- Prior experience at an ecommerce software company is a plus
- Experience with Agile methodologies, in particular SCRUM, XP, Kanban
- BS/MS in computer science or equivalent experience
Other crucial skills
- Excellent ability to communicate, coordinate, and organize
- Speaks openly when something just doesn’t feel right with productive feedback
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking and debugging skills
- Strong bias to action and the drive to make a difference
Our Hiring Processes Might Include
We want to see your problem-solving and analytical skills. Be prepared to write good, clean, scalable code. You don’t need to know our entire stack, but we’re looking for practical experience, someone who can solve production problems in the cloud.
- Recruiter Phone Screen
- Hiring Manager Screening
- Online Code Assessment
- Final Team Interview
- Note: Visa Work Authorization Sponsorship Supported and Relocation Assistance Provided
- Must be willing to relocate prior to start date