Manager, Software Engineering at Bright Health
Back to Career Site
Our Mission is to Make Healthcare Right. Together. Built upon the belief that by connecting and aligning the best local resources in healthcare delivery with the financing of care, we can deliver a superior consumer experience, lower costs, and optimized clinical outcomes.
What drives our mission? The company values we live and breathe every day. We keep it simple: Be Brave. Be Brilliant. Be Accountable. Be Inclusive. Be Collaborative.
If you share our passion for changing healthcare so all people can live healthy, brighter lives – apply to join our team.
SCOPE OF ROLE
This role is responsible for building and leading the DocSquad Platform team. This team will be responsible for development on our online virtual visits and clinical content Rails applications. The engineering manager will have 3 core responsibilities: people management, work planning, and development.
Planning includes working with product, clinical, and customer success teams to define & prioritize customer-facing features and enhancements. They will also incorporate technical and security improvements to their backlog in coordination with our architecture team. The people management aspect includes providing mentorship, feedback, and professional development help to their team. The manager will also provide code reviews & develop stories as their capacity allows during sprints.
- Ensure team regularly ship high quality software that drives the DocSquad business forward and improves our capabilities for enterprise customers as well as our clinical content team's ability to deliver great clinical protocols for virtual care
- Facilitate and participate in established processes for code reviewers and help identify and implement tools that improve engineer efficiency and code quality. Work with the QA and product teams to plan feature testing.
- Work with engineering leadership, business and product owners to define and prioritize virtual care platform roadmap initiatives and translate them into epics and stories. Report on projected project delivery dates to other teams
- Create and implement plans to continually maintain applications and dependencies to take advantage of the latest features, security fixes, and stability improvements
- Lead and manage team of software engineers by providing guidance, conducting mid-year and annual reviews with each member of the team as well as actively recruiting and hiring qualified candidates to fill out the team
- Lead in working with Bright InfoSec, SREs, and other engineering leads in ensuring that we are always maintaining a secure and compliant environment
EDUCATION, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or equivalent experience required.
- 7 or more years of experience in an enterprise or commercial software development environment. Healthcare IT background is highly preferred.
- 1 – 3 years of management experience.
- Experience with web application development in a modern framework, Ruby on Rails preferred.
- Experience with building highly productive teams of engineers and maintaining a positive work environment.
- Experience with applications hosted on AWS or Azure infrastructure a plus
- Ability to maintain a great team atmosphere through coaching and professional development.
- Able to coordinate with other business leads and balance business and technical needs into a productive roadmap.
- Adept planner and problem solver.
- Skilled at code review to drive quality and help engineers learn to produce cleaner, more maintainable code.
- Understanding of the complexities of integrating with third party tools and services.
We understand patient pain points, eliminating complexity while increasing transparency, for greater access and easier navigation.
We integrate and align individual incentives at all levels, from financing to optimization to delivery of care.