Mid Level Full Stack Software Engineer at Self Financial
At Self, our mission is to help millions of people build credit and save money on their journey toward financial security.
There are about 100 million people in the US who have low credit scores or who have no access to credit at all. Sadly, there aren’t many options for these people. Most banks aren’t doing anything material to change the situation because it’s not profitable for them to do so. Bad credit or no credit history can be barriers to renting an apartment or getting certain jobs, let alone buying a car or house. And if you can get a loan with a low credit score, you’re very likely to pay a lot more in interest over the life of that loan.
Our team is passionate about challenging the status quo of the credit industry by giving people accessible and affordable tools to take control of their credit. Executing on our mission requires deep collaboration across our teams to ensure our products reach the people who can most benefit from them.
We're looking for people who share a passion for our mission and relate to why we do what we do. We want to work with people who are driven to tackle challenges, find solutions and help make the financial space a better place for our consumers. We recognize that it takes different people and personalities to make our products – and our company – truly great.
We want you to bring your unique perspective, experience and skills to help improve the financial well-being of millions of people.
About our team:
We're a growing team of engineers working with modern technology to help people build credit and savings. We’ve rebuilt and launched our website as well as our mobile app in the last year, which now serves thousands of customers. We’re looking to take our product to the next level and need an experienced engineer to help us mature our development process. Our website is written in React + GraphQL and our mobile app is written in React Native + GraphQL.
About the role:
As a full stack engineer, you’ll be working to implement a cutting-edge user experience that can be seamless for Android, iOS, and Web users. You’ll integrate with our Rest APIs and other 3rd-party services. You’ll collaborate with designers, product managers and other stakeholders in brainstorming new ideas, developing features, gathering feedback and iterating, thereby continuously providing impactful improvement to our products.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline.
- 3+ years of software engineering experience.
- Experience with development/maintenance of Python/Flask code in a production environment.
- Experience building and consuming APIs to interact with other services using REST.
- Proficiency with SQL and relational databases such as PostgreSQL.
- Experience within the container orchestration space (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.).
- Deep understanding of AWS and cloud architectures/services is a plus.
- Experience with common software engineering tools such as Git (or other VCS), JIRA, Confluence and similar platforms.
- Develop, extend, and maintain the Self website leveraging the React framework and backend Python services.
- Work with designers, product managers, back end engineers to implement new product features and improve existing ones.
- Build efficient, scalable and reusable systems and abstractions.
- Identify and address performance bottlenecks.
- Participate in design and code reviews.
- Reach out to the open source community to encourage and help implement mission-critical software fixes.
- Maintain code and write tests to ensure the product is of the highest quality.
- Provide stakeholders with time and resource estimates related to product development.
- Make technical decisions and improvements around front end development.
- Ensure software is written with security in mind.
- Keep up-to-date with the best coding practices and tooling.
Our compensation and benefits are competitive, but there's one thing that Self Financial can offer that many startups cannot: we can positively change the world, while making a profit. Over 64 million adults in the U.S. do not have a credit score due to a lack of credit history. Self is solving this problem with innovative technology and partnerships.
Our perks include:
- Competitive Pay
- Stock options
- Generous employer-paid health, vision and dental insurance coverage
- Enjoy our vacation policy – there is no policy, balance matters
- Free gym membership
- Plenty of snacks and drinks provided
- Casual dress code
- Catered company lunches on Mondays and Wednesdays
- Team happy hours and events
- Downtown Austin office space
Self Financial requires all employees hired to successfully pass a background check. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.